On Every Street
|On Every Street|
|Studio album by Dire Straits|
|Released||10 September 1991|
|Recorded||November 1990 – May 1991, AIR Studios, London|
Warner Bros. (USA)
|Dire Straits chronology|
On Every Street is the sixth and final studio album by British rock band Dire Straits, released on 10 September 1991 by Vertigo Records internationally, and by Warner Bros. Records in the United States. The follow-up to the band's massively successful album Brothers in Arms, On Every Street reached the top of the UK albums chart and was also certified platinum by the RIAA.
On Every Street was released on 10 September 1991, more than six years after the band's previous album, Brothers in Arms, and was Dire Straits' sixth and final studio album. It was released to mixed reviews and was not as popular - or as successful - as its predecessor, though it still sold more than 10 million copies worldwide (six million in Europe and other one million in the United States). It reached number 12 in the United States and number one in the United Kingdom. The album was produced by Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits.
By this time, the band comprised Knopfler, John Illsley, Alan Clark, Guy Fletcher and Chris White, and the album features session musicians including Paul Franklin, Phil Palmer, Danny Cummings and American drummer Jeff Porcaro from Toto.
Dire Straits promoted the album with a gruelling world tour which lasted until the end of 1992. The group disbanded in 1995, after which Mark Knopfler pursued a solo career and released his debut album Golden Heart in 1996 (not counting previously released soundtracks), and has released many solo records since.
This album was remastered and released with the rest of the Dire Straits catalogue in 1996 for most of the world, except for the United States, where it was issued on 19 September 2000.
All songs written by Mark Knopfler.
|2.||"On Every Street"||5:04|
|3.||"When It Comes to You"||5:01|
|4.||"Fade to Black"||3:50|
|6.||"You and Your Friend"||5:59|
|9.||"Ticket to Heaven"||4:25|
|11.||"Planet of New Orleans"||7:48|
- Limited edition bonus tracks
- Dire Straits
- Mark Knopfler – vocals, guitar
- John Illsley – bass
- Alan Clark – organ, piano, synthesizer
- Guy Fletcher – synthesizer, backing vocals
- Chris White – flute, saxophone
- Additional musicians
- Danny Cummings – percussion
- Paul Franklin – pedal steel guitar, acoustic lap steel (6)
- Vince Gill – guitar, backing vocals (5)
- Manu Katché – percussion, drums (1,7,11)
- George Martin – conductor, string arrangements (9)
- Phil Palmer – guitar
- Jeff Porcaro – drums, percussion
- Mark Knopfler and Alan Clark – producers
- Chuck Ainlay – engineer
- Bill Schnee – engineer
- Steve Orchard – assistant engineer
- Jack Joseph Puig – assistant engineer
- Andy Strange – assistant engineer
- Neil Dorfsman – mixing
- Bob Clearmountain – mixing (7)
- Jo Motta – project coordinator
- Paul Williams – photography
- Sutton Cooper – design
- Paul Cummins – design
On Every Street produced six singles:
- "Calling Elvis"
- "Heavy Fuel"
- "On Every Street"
- "The Bug"
- "You and Your Friend" (released in France and Germany)
- "Ticket to Heaven" (released in The Netherlands)
Charts, sales and certifications
On Every Street remained on the UK Albums Chart for 36 weeks.
|Australian Albums Chart||1|
|Austrian Albums Chart||1|
|French Albums Chart||1|
|Italian Albums Chart||1|
|Norwegian Albums Chart||1|
|Swedish Albums Chart||1|
|Swiss Albums Chart||1|
|UK Albums Chart||1|
|US Billboard 200||12|
|1992||"On Every Street"||—||—||—||—||—||23||—||—||—||—||42|
|1992||"You and Your Friend"||—||—||—||—||—||49||—||—||—||—||—|
|1994||"Ticket to Heaven"||—||—||—||—||43||—||—||—||—||—||—|
Sales and certifications
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Platinum||50,000x|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||100,000^|
|Spain (PROMUSICAE)||4× Platinum||400,000^|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||4× Platinum||200,000x|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||2× Platinum||600,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- AllMusic review
- Rolling Stone review
- Chart Stats
- "Austrian album certifications – Dire Straits – On Every Street" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Dire Straits in the field Interpret. Enter On Every Street in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Canadian album certifications – Dire Straits – On Every Street". Music Canada.
- The first web page presents the sales figures, the second presents the certification limits:
- "French album certifications – Dire Straits – On Every Street" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Dire Straits; 'On Every Street')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Sólo Éxitos 1959-2002 Año A Año: Certificados 1979-1990". Solo Exitos 1959–2002 Ano A Ano.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Dire Straits; 'On Every Street')". Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Dire Straits – On Every Street". British Phonographic Industry. Enter On Every Street in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Dire Straits – On Every Street". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
From Time to Time - The Singles Collection
by Paul Young
|UK number one album
21 September 1991 – 27 September 1991
Use Your Illusion II by Guns N' Roses
Metallica by Metallica
|Australian ARIA Albums Chart number-one album
22 September 1991 – 28 September 1991
Use Your Illusion II by Guns N' Roses