|Directed by||Archie Mayo|
|Written by||Robert Lord (titles)
|Screenplay by||Robert Lord|
|Based on||On Trial
by Elmer Rice
|Edited by||Tommy Pratt|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Running time||91 mins.|
On Trial was a 1928 American talking drama film produced and distributed by Warner Bros., and directed by Archie Mayo. The film starred Pauline Frederick, Lois Wilson, Bert Lytell, Holmes Herbert and Jason Robards. The film is based on the 1914 Broadway play of the same name written by Elmer Rice. A silent version of the film was also released on December 29, 1928.
On Trial is now considered lost. However, Vitaphone soundtrack discs for the film survive and are housed at the UCLA Film and Television Archive and British Film Institute. The film's trailer also survives.
A man is put on trial for the murder on his best friend. A young attorney wants to become successful and decides to defend him. However, he is very inexperienced.
- Pauline Frederick - Joan Trask
- Bert Lytell - Robert Strickland
- Lois Wilson - May Strickland
- Holmes Herbert - Gerald Trask
- Richard Tucker - Prosecuting Attorney
- Jason Robards, Sr. - Defense Attorney
- Franklin Pangborn - Turnbull
- Fred Kelsey - Clerk
- Vondell Darr - Doris Strickland
- On Trial at the Internet Movie Database
- On Trial at the Internet Movie Database (1917)
- On Trial at the Internet Movie Database (1939)