On an Island with You
|On an Island with You|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Richard Thorpe|
|Produced by||Joe Pasternak|
|Written by||Charles Martin
|Screenplay by||Charles Martin
|Music by||Albert Sendrey
|Editing by||Douglass Biggs
|Release dates||May 3, 1948|
|Running time||107 minutes|
On an Island with You is a 1948 musical Technicolor romantic comedy film directed by Richard Thorpe. It stars Esther Williams, Peter Lawford, Ricardo Montalbán, Cyd Charisse, Kathryn Beaumont and Jimmy Durante.[N 1]
Rosalind Reynolds (Esther Williams), a swimming star goes to Hawaii to make a film set on a tropical island, bringing along her fiancé, Ricardo Montez (Ricardo Montalban). A military technical adviser for the film, U.S. Navy Lt. Lawrence Y. Kingslee (Peter Lawford) falls in love with her. Yvonne Torro (Cyd Charisse), her best friend and fellow movie star, secretly wants Ricardo for herself.
Larry, who had met her three years before on a USO show at his Pacific base, makes it obvious that he is smitten with Rosalind, and after kissing her on the set, showing up Ricardo, plans to spirit her away on his aircraft. Later, at the Royal Aloha hotel, the film cast and crew are entertained by real-life orchestra leader Xavier Cugat and his orchestra. The next day, taking advantage of a scene where Rosalind flies over the set, Larry flies to the actual island where he first met her. After asking for a kiss, he knows that Rosalind is attracted to him. Returning to their aircraft, the two discover that the natives have stolen parts, effectively stranding them on the island.
Meanwhile, her fiancé and the search party he formed are captured by the cannibals who inhabit the tropical isle, but are saved by his rival. After everyone leaves the island, complications begin. With Larry facing a court-martial, Rosalind tries to help him by accepting blame for the unauthorized flight to the island. Eventually, they learn that Yvonne has become romantically involved with Ricardo, while Larry and Rosalind also realize they are in love.
As appearing in On an Island with You, (main roles and screen credits identified):
- Esther Williams as Rosalind Reynolds
- Peter Lawford as Lt. Lawrence Y. Kingslee
- Ricardo Montalban as Ricardo Montez
- Jimmy Durante as Jimmy Buckley
- Cyd Charisse as Yvonne Torro
- Leon Ames as Commander Harrison
- Kathryn Beaumont as Penelope Peabody aka Pineapple
- Dick Simmons as George Blaine
- Xavier Cugat as Xavier Cugat
- Dick Simmons as George Blaine
Principal photography took place on MGM lots and on location near Key Biscayne, Florida from June 1 to early September 1947. Williams blamed her director, whom she disliked, for an accident on set. During a scene in which she was supposed to fall into a hole in the jungle floor camouflaged by vegetation, she walked into the hole and fell straight down. However, the crew had put no cushioning at the bottom to break her fall. Williams sprained her ankle and had to finish the film using crutches.
A similar fate befell Cyd Charisse who had completed the bulk of her work, including two dance duets with Ricardo Montalban, then tore ligaments in her knee during filming of the big ceremonial dance on the island. She ended up in a cast for two months and a substitute dancer finished her dance scenes, photographed from long distance.
Like all of Esther Williams' other films, On an Island with You was a moneymaker and did well at the box office as one of the most popular films of 1948. Critics, however, recognized both the merits and shortcomings of the Williams format. The review in the New York Times indicated, "The shortcomings of 'On An Island' merit no serious invective, but to make the record complete, it should be observed that Richard Thorpe, the director, never helped the film to rise above its basic material."
- Eames 1982, p. 211.
- Miller, Frank. "Articles: On an Island with You." Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved: June 30, 2013.
- "Credits: On an Island with You (1948)." Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved: June 30, 2013.
- "Original Print Information: On an Island with You." Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved: June 30, 2013.
- Williams and Diehl 1999, p. 196.
- T.F.B."On an Island with You (1948); The screen; Esther Williams and Peter Lawford head cast of 'On an Island With You,' at Capitol." The New York Times, July 30, 1948.
- Eames, John Douglas. The MGM Story: The Complete History of Fifty Roaring Years. London: Octopus Books Limited, 1982, First edition 1979. ISBN 978-0-51752-389-6.
- Williams, Esther with Digby Diehl. The Million Dollar Mermaid: An Autobiography. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1999. ISBN 978-0-15601-135-8.
- On an Island with You at the Internet Movie Database
- On an Island with You at allmovie
- On an Island with You at the TCM Movie Database