Once in a LIVEtime
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
|Once in a LIVEtime|
Cover art by Storm Thorgerson
|Live album by Dream Theater|
|Released||October 27, 1998|
|Recorded||June 25, 1998 - Le Bataclan, Paris, France|
|Genre||Progressive metal, progressive rock|
|Dream Theater chronology|
Once in a LIVEtime is a live double album by progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater, and their second live release, which features 5 songs from the 1997 album Falling Into Infinity; was produced and recorded by Kevin Shirley during the European leg of the Touring into Infinity world tour at the Bataclan, France and released in 1998.
"Puppies on Acid" is actually the first instrumental section of "The Mirror" from Awake album. Mike Portnoy's drum solo is essentially inserted into the last third of "Ytse Jam", which is cut short on the track listing but finishes in the last two minutes of the solo track. The Last three songs on the second disc are dubbed-"Medley" and are much much shorter than the original songs.
The album cover, designed by Storm Thorgerson, shows an over head view of the ancient Roman theatre in Orange, France set into a head of a monk. It is one of three albums by Dream Theater, as well as their only live album, not to feature the band's iconic font on the cover. This was due to Thorgerson's refusal to work with fonts created by other artists.
All music composed by Dream Theater except where noted.
|1.||"The Crimson Sunrise"||(instrumental)||3:56|
|3.||"Puppies on Acid"||(instrumental)||1:24|
|4.||"Just Let Me Breathe"||Portnoy||5:53|
|6.||"Take the Time"||Dream Theater||12:20|
|7.||"Derek Sherinian Piano Solo" (music: Derek Sherinian)||(instrumental)||1:54|
|8.||"Lines in the Sand"||Petrucci||13:13|
|10.||"The Darkest of Winters"||(instrumental)||3:17|
|11.||"Ytse Jam" (music: Petrucci, John Myung, Kevin Moore, Portnoy)||(instrumental)||4:09|
|12.||"Mike Portnoy Drum Solo/Ytse Jam(Continued)" (music: Portnoy)||(instrumental)||6:59|
|1.||"Trial of Tears"||Myung||14:11|
|3.||"Take Away My Pain"||Petrucci||6:16|
|4.||"Caught In A Web"||James LaBrie, Petrucci||5:16|
|7.||"John Petrucci Guitar Solo" (music: Petrucci)||(instrumental)||8:06|
|8.||"Pull Me Under"||Moore||8:15|
|9.||"Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper"||Petrucci||6:16|
|10.||"Learning to Live"||Myung||4:13|
|11.||"The Crimson Sunset"||Portnoy||3:49|
Covers and tributes
Dream Theater have often placed riffs or parts of other band's songs into their songs when playing live. On this album, there are several examples of this.
- The segue from "Just Let Me Breathe" into "Voices" features John Petrucci playing the first half of the Force Theme from "Star Wars".
- The end of "Take the Time" contains the outro solo from Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird" and a short final riff from Led Zeppelin's "Moby Dick".
- "Derek Sherinian Piano Solo" contains portions of the Platypus's "Platt Opus".
- "Mike Portnoy Drum Solo" contains the intro to Dream Theater's own "6:00"
- Before the beginning of "Trial of Tears", and at the end of the song, John Petrucci plays the famous five tone motif from the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- The opening of "Trial of Tears" also contains portions of the Rush songs "Xanadu" and "The Trees".
- "Peruvian Skies" contains portions of Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar" and Metallica's "Enter Sandman".
- "John Petrucci Guitar Solo" contains several parts of Liquid Tension Experiment's "Paradigm Shift". It also contains a portion of "Solar System Race Song", Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee" and The Godfather's Tarantella.
- At the end of "The Crimson Sunset", the intro of "A Fortune in Lies" is played right before ending the show.
- James LaBrie - vocals
- John Myung - bass
- John Petrucci - guitars, backing vocals
- Mike Portnoy - drums, backing vocals
- Derek Sherinian - keyboards
- Once in a LIVEtime - #157
- Once in a LIVEtime - #59
- Prato, Greg (2011). "Once in a LIVEtime - Dream Theater | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 3 August 2011.