Once in a LIVEtime
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
|Once in a LIVEtime|
Cover art by Storm Thorgerson
|Live album by Dream Theater|
|Released||October 27, 1998|
|Recorded||June 25, 1998 - Le Bataclan, Paris, France|
|Genre||Progressive metal, progressive rock|
|Dream Theater chronology|
Once in a LIVEtime is a 2CD live album by progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater, and their second live release, which featured most of the songs from the 1997 album Falling Into Infinity recorded at the Bataclan, France and released in 1998.
The album cover, designed by Storm Thorgerson, shows an over head view of the ancient Roman theatre in Orange, France set into a head of a monk. It is one of three albums by Dream Theater, as well as their only live album, not to feature the band's iconic font on the cover. This was due to Thorgerson's refusal to work with fonts created by other artists.
All music composed by Dream Theater except where noted.
|1.||"The Crimson Sunrise"||(instrumental)||3:56|
|3.||"Puppies on Acid"||(instrumental)||1:24|
|4.||"Just Let Me Breathe"||Portnoy||5:53|
|6.||"Take the Time"||Dream Theater||12:20|
|7.||"Derek Sherinian Piano Solo" (music: Derek Sherinian)||(instrumental)||1:54|
|8.||"Lines in the Sand"||Petrucci||13:13|
|10.||"The Darkest of Winters"||(instrumental)||3:17|
|11.||"Ytse Jam" (music: Petrucci, John Myung, Kevin Moore, Portnoy)||(instrumental)||4:09|
|12.||"Mike Portnoy Drum Solo/Ytse Jam(Continued)" (music: Portnoy)||(instrumental)||6:59|
|1.||"Trial of Tears"||Myung||14:11|
|3.||"Take Away My Pain"||Petrucci||6:16|
|4.||"Caught In A Web"||James LaBrie, Petrucci||5:16|
|7.||"John Petrucci Guitar Solo" (music: Petrucci)||(instrumental)||8:06|
|8.||"Pull Me Under"||Moore||8:15|
|9.||"Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper"||Petrucci||6:16|
|10.||"Learning to Live"||Myung||4:13|
|11.||"The Crimson Sunset"||Portnoy||3:49|
Covers and tributes
Dream Theater have often placed riffs or parts of other band's songs into their songs when playing live. On this album, there are several examples of this.
- Before the beginning of "Trial of Tears", and at the end of the song, John Petrucci plays the famous five tone motif from the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- The opening of "Trial of Tears" also contains portions of the Rush songs "Xanadu" and "The Trees".
- "Peruvian Skies" contains portions of Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar" and Metallica's "Enter Sandman".
- The end of "Take the Time" contains the outro solo from Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird", a short section from Deep Purple's "Child in Time" and the guitar riff from Led Zeppelin's "Moby Dick".
- John Petrucci's guitar solo is composed almost entirely of Liquid Tension Experiment's "Acid Rain" and parts of "Paradigm Shift". It also contains a portion of "Solar System Race Song", Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee" and The Godfather's Tarantella.
- Mike Portnoy's solo contains the intro to Dream Theater's own "6:00"
- The segue from "Just Let Me Breathe" into "Voices" features John Petrucci playing the first half of the Force Theme from "Star Wars".
- At the end of "The Crimson Sunset", the intro of "A Fortune in Lies" is played right before ending the show.
- Mike Portnoy's drum solo is essentially inserted into the last third of "Ytse Jam", which is cut short on the track listing but finishes in the last two minutes of the solo track.
- The Last three songs on Disk Two are dubbed-"Medley" on the Cd. And are much much shorter than the original songs.
- James LaBrie - vocals
- John Myung - bass
- John Petrucci - guitars, backing vocals
- Mike Portnoy - drums, backing vocals
- Derek Sherinian - keyboards
- Once in a LIVEtime - #157
- Once in a LIVEtime - #59
- Prato, Greg (2011). "Once in a LIVEtime - Dream Theater | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 3 August 2011.