Once in a Lifetime Love
|"Once in a Lifetime Love"|
|Single by Clay Walker|
|from the album Live, Laugh, Love|
|Writer(s)||Jason M. Greene
|Clay Walker singles chronology|
"'Once in a Lifetime Love" is the title of a song written by Jason M. Greene who co-wrote the single with and was recorded by American country music singer Clay Walker. It was released on May 9, 2000 as the fourth and final single to his album Live, Laugh, Love. It peaked at #50 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks becoming his lowest charting single of his career as well as his first to miss the top forty.
In an interview with The Virginian-Pilot, Walker stated that Once in a Lifetime Love was one of his favorite songs and said, "It's probably the best vocal performance I've ever given. I was listening to Whitney Houston's version of I Will Always Love You - man, I want to write something like that."
The song is about a man who asks his lover if their love is a once in a lifetime experience and what would happen if they never had a chance at it. He ponders what would happen if he never told his lover he loves her.
Lance Ringel of the Lakeland Ledger praised the song by writing, "Citing Whitney Houston and Toni Braxton as role models, Walker crafts a near-flawless power balled in "Once in a Lifetime Love". The production builds the song perfectly, and when the singer hits an unexpected high note near the end, the effect is electric. Greg Crawford of the Detroit Free Press wrote, "If he doesn't quite raise the roof with the power ballad "Once in a Lifetime Love," he at least pushes himself to some new vocal and emotional heights."
"Once in a Lifetime Love" entered the Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart at number 74 for the week of July 24 1999 as an album cut. The song peaked at #50 for the week of September 2 2000 after spending eighteen weeks on the chart.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||50|
- Roberts, Frank. The Virginian-Pilot and The Ledger-Star Clay Walker Has Lighthearted Outlook (19 August 1999).
- Price, Deborah Evans. Giant Aims to Raise Walker's Profile With Live Laugh Love Billboard (Jul 31, 1999)
- Ringel, Lance. Live Laugh Love Lakeland Ledger (September 7, 1997)
- Crawford, Greg Detroit Free Press Quick Spins (24 September 1999)
- Clay Walker News 1999 (July 20 1999)
- "Once in a Lifetime - Clay Walker". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved July 24, 2011.
- "Clay Walker Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Clay Walker.