Pavelec during the 2011-12 NHL season
August 31, 1987 |
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||220 lb (100 kg; 15 st 10 lb)|
|National team||Czech Republic|
|NHL Draft||41st overall, 2005
Ondřej Pavelec (born August 31, 1987) is a Czech professional ice hockey goaltender, who plays for the Winnipeg Jets of the National Hockey League (NHL). During the 2012 NHL lockout he played for HC Bílí Tygři Liberec in the Czech Extraliga.
Pavelec was drafted in the first round of the 2005 CHL Import Draft by the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles of the (QMJHL). He played two seasons with the club and helped them to a semi-final finish in the 2006–2007 season. Pavelec, the Atlanta Thrashers second-round pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft (41st overall), was a first team All-Star in each of his two seasons with Cape Breton, and won the Jacques Plante Memorial Trophy for best goals-against average both years, making him only the fourth player to repeat as Jacques Plante Trophy winner and the first in 20 years to do so (Robert Desjardins was the last). As a rookie he took home the Raymond Lagacé Trophy and RDS Trophy, awarded to top defensive rookie and rookie of the year, respectively. His numbers were remarkably consistent over the two seasons, as he recorded GAAs of 2.51 in '05–06 and 2.52 last season, with save percentages of .929 and .908.
Pavelec signed a contract with the Thrashers in 2007. On May 18, 2007, Pavelec shut out the Toronto Marlies 5-0 in the American Hockey League's Western Conference Finals. Pavelec also helped Chicago Wolves win the Calder Cup in the 2007-08 season.
After starting nine games for the Chicago Wolves in the 2008-2009 season, he was recalled to the NHL due to an injury to Kari Lehtonen. He played in his first NHL game on October 20, 2007. He made his first NHL start and picked up his first NHL win against the Tampa Bay Lightning on November 3, 2007. Pavelec was playing with the Atlanta Thrashers since being called up on November 1, 2008 until he was reassigned to the Chicago Wolves on December 19, 2008. He later returned to the Thrashers.
Due to the 2012–13 NHL lockout, Pavelec returned to his native Czech Republic, where he was expected to link up with HC Oceláři Třinec. However, he headed to HC Bílí Tygři Liberec instead, where he joined fellow NHL player Ladislav Šmíd.
On October 8, 2010, Pavelec collapsed and lost consciousness during a game against the Washington Capitals while there was a break in play at 2:25 into the first period. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher and taken to the hospital. He regained consciousness while at the hospital and was in stable condition, and apparently was concerned about the score in the game, which the Thrashers won 4-2. It was determined after testing by doctors that the cause of his collapse was neurocardiogenic syncope, a type of fainting spell, and that he received a concussion and lost consciousness after his head hit the ice. He was released from the hospital on October 11, 2010.
|Men's ice hockey|
|Competitor for Czech Republic|
Pavelec led the Czech Republic Under-17 team to a second-place finish in the 2004 Junior World Cup, and the Under-18 squad to fourth place at the U-18 World Junior Cup. He was also the starting goalie for the Czech Republic U-20 team at the 2006 World Junior Hockey Championships.
Regular season and playoffs
|2005–06||Cape Breton Screaming Eagles||QMJHL||47||28||17||2||2578||108||3||2.51||.929||9||4||5||506||19||0||2.25||.926|
|2006–07||Cape Breton Screaming Eagles||QMJHL||43||28||11||0||2335||98||1||2.52||.908||16||11||5||970||37||2||2.29||.920|
|2012–13||HC Bílí Tygři Liberec||CZE||14||4||10||0||772||45||0||3.50||.896||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and achievements
- Jacques Plante Memorial Trophy (QMJHL's lowest GAA) - 2006, 2007
- Raymond Lagacé Trophy (QMJHL's defensive rookie of the year) - 2006
- RDS Cup (QMJHL's rookie of the year) - 2006
- QMJHL First All-Star Team - 2006, 2007
- QMJHL All-Rookie Team - 2006
- AHL Calder Cup - 2007-2008 Chicago Wolves
- October 2008 AHL Goalie of the Month
- NHL 1st Star of the Week (Nov 21st - Nov 28th, 2010)
- 2011 Georgia’s Own Credit Union Three Stars of the Year Award
- Winnipeg Jets 2012 McDiaramid Lumber Three Stars Award
- "Místo Třince by měl Pavelec chytat v Liberci. Kindl míří do Pardubic". idnes.cz. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2013. (Czech)
- "Pavelec collapses during game". National Hockey League. 2010-10-11. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Thrashers' Pavelec in Stable Condition in Atlanta Hospital". The Sporting News. October 2010. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "Ondrej Pavelec in stable condition". ESPN.com. October 2010. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "Thrashers' Pavelec earns first star honors". National Hockey League. 2010-11-28. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Thrashers announce team award winners". Atlanta Thrashers. 2011-04-01. Retrieved 2011-04-01.