One Billion Rising
|Motto||Strike, Dance, Rise!|
|Key people||Eve Ensler|
One Billion Rising is a global campaign to end violence against women, rise for justice and promote gender equality. It was started in 2012 as part of the V-Day movement. The "billion" refers to the UN statistic that one in three women will be raped or beaten in their lifetime, or about one billion. In 2012, the One Billion Rising campaign culminated in the biggest mass global action to end violence against women ever with tens of thousands of events held in more than 190 countries.
On February 14, 2013, a one-day event was held, a call for one billion women around the world to join together to dance in a show of collective strength. The event was held on the 15th anniversary of the V-Day movement. The word "billion" refers the statistic that one in three women will be raped or beaten in their lifetime, or about one billion.
The campaign was initiated by playwright and activist Eve Ensler (known for her play The Vagina Monologues), and her organization V-Day. The campaign was in part inspired by the Todd Akin 'legitimate rape' and pregnancy comment controversy. Ensler, shocked at Akin's statement, wrote an open letter in response.
Around 5,000 organizations have joined the campaign, which has also been aided or endorsed by religious ministers, movement builders, actors Rosario Dawson, Robert Redford, and Stella Creasy, British Labour Co-operative politician.
In a video message dedicated to Jyoti Singh, the Indian student who died in December after she was gang-raped by six men on a Delhi bus, Anoushka Shankar disclosed she had been abused by a trusted friend of her parents over several years when she was a child. In her message she said she did not believe she will ever recover from the abuse she had suffered: "...as a woman I find I'm frequently living in fear, afraid to walk along at night, afraid to answer a man who asks for the time, afraid I'm going to be judged or treated in ways based on the way I might choose to dress or the make up I might choose to wear, and you know, enough is enough. I'm rising for women like Jyoti, for women like her, with the amazing women of my country I'm rising for the child in me who I don't think will ever fully recover from what happened to her."
- List of anti-sexual assault organizations in the United States
- Feminist movement
- 2012 Delhi gang rape case
- Violence Against Women Act
- War on Women
- "V-Day: One Billion Rising". Huffingtonpost.com. 2012-09-24. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Celebrating five years of women moaning | Antigua Observer Newspaper". Antiguaobserver.com. 2012-04-27. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "'This is not a women's issue, it's a global crisis': Robert Redford - video | Society | guardian.co.uk". London: Guardian. 2012-09-24. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Launches Campaign to End Violence against Women". un.org/. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
- "PRESS RELEASE: V-DAY’S ONE BILLION RISING IS BIGGEST GLOBAL ACTION EVER TO END VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND GIRLS". onebillionrising.org/. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
- "Fit for the King » FUNFARE with Ricardo F. Lo | Entertainment » Exclusive". philstar.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- Coastweek Kenya (2012-09-06). "coastweek.com". coastweek.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Features". Oxyweekly.com. 2012-02-21. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "News in Nepal: Fast, Full & Factual". Myrepublica.Com. 2012-09-20. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- Kyivans join global rally to end violence against women, Kyiv Post (14 February 2013)
- "Capital News » African gender activists meet in Kenya over violence". Capitalfm.co.ke. 1931-11-07. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "One Billion Rising: Eve Ensler, Activists Worldwide Plan Global Strike to End Violence Against Women". Democracynow.org. Retrieved 2012-09-28.
- Martinson, Jane (2007-09-28). "Join the One Billion Rising campaign to end violence against women | Society". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Una campagna contro la violenza sulle donne mondiale". ilJournal.it. 2012-09-09. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- Rosamund Urwin (2012-09-07). "'The misogynist abuse MPs receive is shocking – you should see the tweets I get' - Politics - News - Evening Standard". Standard.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- Nelson, Dean (2013-02-14). "Anoushka Shankar reveals sexual abuse as child". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- "Aamir Khan and Gul Panag lend their Support to One Billion Rising Campaign". IANS. Biharprabha News. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- Official website
- One Billion Rising at the website for the V-Day movement
- List of cooperating organizations
- Endorsement video message by Robert Redford at the The Guardian newspaper website
- September 24, 2012 video interview with Eve Ensler at Democracy Now!
- February 14, 2013 video interview with Eve Ensler at Democracy Now!