One Churchill Place
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|One Churchill Place|
One Churchill Place
|Location||1 Churchill Place
Tower Hamlets, London, England
|Roof||156 m (512 ft)|
|Design and construction|
One Churchill Place is a 156 m tall skyscraper with 32 floors, serving as the headquarters of Barclays Bank. It is in the Docklands area of London in Canary Wharf. The building is the seventh tallest office block in the United Kingdom and the fourth tallest building in the Docklands after One Canada Square, the HSBC Group Headquarters and the Citigroup Centre.
The building was formally opened in June 2005 by the Chairman of Barclays, Matthew Barrett, and merged Barclays offices across London into one building. The former corporate HQ was at 54 Lombard Street in the City of London.
Designed after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the building is constructed around four staircase columns with a large, central column containing the lifts and toilet facilities. The building manual states that there is enough room in these columns to contain everyone who works in the building, in the event of a security alert.
The building was planned to be 50 stories in height, but was scaled down to 31 after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Barclays occupy approximately 90% of the building, levels 18-20 being not in use by Barclays. Floors 18-20 are leased to BGC Partners. Increasingly the premises are now used on a hotdesking basis to accommodate more agile and collaborative working.
- Level -1: Gym
- Ground Floor: Reception
- Level 2: Presentation suite and meeting rooms
- Level 3: Staff restaurant and deli bar, mail room and print shop
- Levels 4 and 5: Plant
- Levels 6 to 17: Working floors
- Levels 18 to 20: Tenant floors occupied by BGC Partners
- Levels 21 to 29: Working floors (Part L23 occupied by the Olympic Delivery Authority returning to Barclays at the end of June 2014)
- Level 30: Meeting rooms
- Level 31: Executive offices
- Emporis: One Churchill Place
- Britain's first terror-proof skyscraper at Canary Wharf - Emporis, 2002-12-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to One Churchill Place.|