One Day (Matisyahu song)
|Single by Matisyahu|
|from the album Light|
|Released||June 23, 2009|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Genre||Reggae fusion, hip hop|
|Length||3:27 (Album Version)
3:40 (Pop Edit feat. Akon)
3:28 (World Cup Edit feat. Nameless)
|Label||Epic, JDub Records, Or Music|
|Writer(s)||Bruno Mars, Ari Levine, Matthew Miller and Philip Lawrence|
|Producer(s)||David Kahne, Eric Krasno & Adam Deitch, Prince Ben, Stephen McGregor (Son of Freddie), Fish and Norwood from Fishbone, and Sly & Robbie.|
|Matisyahu singles chronology|
"One Day" is a song by Jewish reggae singer Matisyahu, first released in 2009, his first single since Jerusalem (Out of the Darkness Comes Light). The song was also included as a last-minute addition to Matisyahu's album Light. The song expresses a hope for an end to violence and a prayer for a new era of peace and understanding. It appeared on the Modern Rock Chart at number 21 and at number 38 on the US Rock Chart, also in March 2010 it debuted on Billboard Hot 100 at number 90 and reached number 85. The song was featured on the video game NBA 2K10, which was released on October 6, 2009.
In an interview with Matisyahu "'One Day' is the song I've been wanting to make since I started my career," Matisyahu tells Spinner. "It is an anthem of hope with a big beat, the kind of song that makes you bob your head and open your heart at the same time."
There is a version of the song featured on the Listen Up! The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Album featuring Nameless.
Uses in other media
- The song was sung by group Emblem3 on The XFactor USA, October 31, 2012, a cover version also featured on their album Nothing to Lose in 2013.
- The song was used extensively as the theme song for NBC's Countdown to the 2010 Winter Olympics campaign.
- The song was used at the end of the first trailer of the film Waiting for "Superman"
- The song was used briefly in Tom Brokaws Bridging the Divide
- On June 4, 2011, Palestinian mixed martial artist Ramsey Nijem used the song as his entrance music for his fight against Tony Ferguson in keeping with the song's universal message of peace and understanding
- The song was also included in the Playlist Track of the game, NBA 2K10
- The song plays when Annie arrives in Israel in the third season of Covert Affairs
- The song was used for the Life Vest Inside Kindness Boomerang, a short film featuring good works and kindness
- The song was used by SportTV on its coverage of the 2010 FIFA World Cup
- In the second season of the The Voice of the Philippines, Reggae singer Kokoi Baldo sang his own rendition of the song and four coaches turned for him. He chose Sarah Geronimo.
The music video shows a number of people hanging and viewing posters of Matisyahu.
|Israel (Media Forest)||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||85|
|U.S. Billboard Alternative Songs||21|
|U.S. Billboard Pop Songs||35|
|U.S. Billboard Rock Songs||38|
|Japan Hot 100||37|
- Matisyahu talks about his new single "One day"|made at spinner.com on 2009-05-27 Retrieved 2010-01-15
- One Day Songfacts
- Film's official site with the trailer
- Tom Brokaw Presents: Bridging the Divide (2010) at the Internet Movie Database
- "Kindness Boomerang". YouTube/ Life Vest Inside. Dec 24, 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Infected Mashroom and Matisyahu – One Day Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest.