One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
|Preceded by||Happy Birthday to You!|
|Followed by||Green Eggs and Ham|
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish is a 1960 children's book by Dr. Seuss. It is a simple rhyming book for beginning readers, with a freewheeling plot about a boy and a girl and the many amazing creatures they have for friends and pets. As of 2001, over 6 million copies of the book had been sold, placing it 13th on a list of "All-Time Bestselling Children's Books" from Publishers Weekly. Based on a 2007 online poll, the National Education Association named the book one of its "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children."
- Visje een visje twee visje visje in de zee (1960s, Dutch, ISBN 9024002958)
- Devarim muzarim korim ba-sefarim (1980, Hebrew)
- Yi tiao yu, liang tiao yu, hong de yu, lan de yu (1992, Chinese, ISBN 9573211246)
- Un pez, dos peces, pez rojo, pez azul (2006, Spanish, ISBN 1930332831)
- Eyn fish, tsvey fish, royter fish, bloyer fish (2007, Yiddish, ISBN 9780972693936)
- Poisson un, poisson deux, poisson rouge, poisson bleu (2011, French, ISBN 9781612430294)
Audio and video versions
Rik Mayall narrated this story as part of a HarperCollins audiobook that also includes The Lorax, Dr. Seuss's ABC and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish was part of the Beginner Book Video series which included Oh, the Thinks You Can Think! and The Foot Book.
In popular culture
- A book titled One Dad, Two Dads, Brown Dad, Blue Dads was published in 1994, a parody of the title.
- In the Supreme Court case, Yates v. United States (2015), Justice Elena Kagan cited the book in her dissent to support the argument that fish are tangible objects as defined in the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
Theme park attraction
|One Fish Two Fish
Red Fish Blue Fish
Entrance of the One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish ride at Islands of Adventure.
|Attraction type||Water Ride|
|Theme||One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish|
Universal Express available
The book was the basis of a theme park attraction located at Universal's Islands of Adventure in the Seuss Landing area of the park, called "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish". The attraction has riders enter vehicles based on various colored fish from the book, and they must follow directions given on the ride to avoid getting wet. However, on days when it is too cold, the ride will operate without the water. The ride was constructed by the German attraction builder Zierer.
- Roback, Diane, Jason Britton, and Debbie Hochman Turvey (December 17, 2001). "All-Time Bestselling Children's Books". Publishers Weekly 248 (51). Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- National Education Association (2007). "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children". Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- The literal English translation of the Hebrew title is Strange Things Happen in Books.
- Valentine, Johnny; Sarecky, Melody (1994). One dad, two dads, brown dad, blue dads. Boston, MA: Alyson Wonderland. ISBN 1555832539.