One Great Night on Earth
One Great Night On Earth
|Location(s)||Outside Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Founded by||Lyndel Moore|
|Website||One Great Night On Earth|
One Great Night On Earth is a music festival to be held in 2013.
Development of the festival began in April 2009 to raise funds to assist Australians in regions that have been devastated by natural disasters, particularly the Black Saturday bushfires which devastated 4,500 km² of Southern Victoria, killed 173 and injured an additional 414. The plan is for a ten-year series of one-day, twelve-hour festivals on 900 acres of private land near the You Yang National Park, a 40-minute drive from the city of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Planning and preparation
In 2010 festival founder Lyndel Moore contacted Chip Monck, the legendary lighting director and stage manager of the original Woodstock Festival. Monck became the Director of Production for the festival and Co-Director of an associated production company and intends to create "a high tech version of the original Woodstock". He has been involved in site selection, planning the staging, lighting, sound and video aspects as well using his long list of industry contacts throughout the world to attract "...professionals that have far surpassed my work over the past 40 years." Monck hopes the festival will "feature a classic rock feel, harnessing 'all the good stuff' from his long career."
The original November 2011 date of the Festival proved too short a time frame to accomplish everything planned, coupled with the average rainfall levels of that month, and the event was rescheduled for the first day of summer, 1 December 2012. On 19 October 2012, Moore confirmed that the event would be postponed. A report on FasterLouder stated that the new date would be "early to mid 2013, in Melbourne, Australia".
100% of the ticket sales from the festival will go to the Fine Green Paddock foundation, a federally registered, tax-deductible charity able to raise funds throughout Australia. The FGP foundation is a "necessitous circumstances" charity, disbursing funds to Australians affected by natural disasters, as required. The ticket price will not be deductible as the purchaser will get admission to the concert in exchange for their contribution.
The musical line-up will feature "classic rock artists from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s in a picnic style setting". The promoters are actively seeking headlining artists and have traveled to the United States and Europe to do so.
From the start, One Great Night On Earth has designated particular individuals as "Ambassadors" for the Festival and Foundation. Music promoter Barry Fey, musician, songwriter and produce Al Kooper, Wishbone Ash guitarist Ted Turner, Australian television presenter Julia Zemiro and rock biographer Harvey Kubernik are among the first.
- Collins, Pádraig (12 February 2009). "Rudd criticised over bush fire compensation". Irish Times. Retrieved 19 February 2009.
- Huxley, John (11 February 2009). "Horrific, but not the worst we've suffered". Fairfax Media (Sydney Morning Herald). Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Reynolds, Ryan (30 July 2010). "You Yangs could host huge festival". Geelong Advertiser. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "One Great Night On Earth One Great Night On Earth Planned For Victoria". Undercover.fm. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- Wakely, Laura (21 July 2010). "Much Moore to be done". The Weekly Times. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Who We Are". Field Organization. Retrieved 15 December 2011. "...as well as following the legendary Chip Monck to the Newport Jazz, Folk and Opera Festivals"
- "The great Chip Monck joins our team". One Great Night On Earth. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Woodstock Icon Chip Monck Planning One Great Night on Earth Next December". Vintage Vinyl News. Retrieved 26 December 2011. "He has said that the festival will feature a classic rock feel, harnessing "all the good stuff" from his long career"
- Mann, Tom. "One Great Night On Earth not cancelled, postponed". Faster-Louder.com.au. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- ""Backstage Past"…and present". One Great Night On Earth. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Greetings Earthlings!". One Great Night on Earth. 16 May 2010. Retrieved 15 December 2011.