One Nine Nine Four
|One Nine Nine Four|
|Directed by||Jai Al-Attas|
|Written by||Jai Al-Attas|
|Narrated by||Tony Hawk|
|Distributed by||Robot Academy|
|Running time||90 minutes|
One Nine Nine Four is a documentary film written and directed by Jai Al-Attas, "exploring the birth, growth and eventual tipping point of punk rock during the 90s" and produced by the independent Australian company Robot Academy Films. The bulk of the film's content consists of band interviews and archive footage. The film was screened once at the Calgary International Film Festival on September, 29th.
The film is narrated by skateboarder Tony Hawk and features interviews and footage of various bands and figures in the punk scene including Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, Dexter Holland from The Offspring, Greg Graffin and Brett Gurewitz from Bad Religion, Tim Armstrong, Matt Freeman (previously of Operation Ivy) and Lars Fredriksen from Rancid, Fat Mike from NOFX as well as Mark Hoppus and Tom DeLonge from Blink-182 .
Music clearances fees have prevented the producer from legally releasing the film; it has only been screened twice, once at the Calgary International Film Festival, and once at a "fan-only" screening at The Chauvel Cinema in Sydney, Australia. The filmmakers have turned to fund raising in order to release it publicly.
The last public update before the free release of the documentary was released to fans was in March 2011 via the "One Nine Nine Four" Facebook page. The update reads; "alright fuck it, i'm working on a way to make this free for you all."
The documentary was released on YouTube on April 18, 2012.
Featured interviews with
- Fat Mike - NOFX / Fat Wreck Chords
- Tim Armstrong - Rancid / Hellcat Records
- Lars Frederiksen – Rancid
- Matt Freeman – Rancid
- Billie Joe Armstrong - Green Day
- Joey Cape – Lagwagon
- Mark Hoppus - Blink-182
- Tom DeLonge - Blink-182
- Brett Gurewitz - Bad Religion / Epitaph
- Greg Graffin - Bad Religion
- Fletcher Dragge – Pennywise
- Tony Sly - No Use for a Name
- Scott Russo - Unwritten Law
- John Feldmann – Goldfinger
- Dexter Holland - The Offspring / Nitro Records
- Joe Escalante - The Vandals / Kung Fu Records
- Larry Livermore - Lookout! Records
- Kevin Lyman - Warped Tour
- Rick Devoe - Blink-182 Manager / Big Dummy Productions
- Andy Somers - Booking Agent
- Ryan Greene – Producer
- Rob Cavallo - A&R / Producer
- Matt Messer - A&R
- Tim Curran - Professional Surfer