One Note Samba
The song title refers to the main melody line, which at first consists of a long series of notes of a single tone played in a bossa nova rhythm (typically D, as played in the key of G). The first eight measures consist of D, followed by four measures of G, and then four measures of D. This is followed by eight measures of a more conventional, scalar melody line.
This well-known song first reached a wide audience on the Grammy-winning bossa nova LP Jazz Samba (Getz/Byrd/Jobim), which reached the number one spot on the Billboard 200 in 1963. Another well-known release is the Sergio Mendes-Brasil '66 version, in medley with "Spanish Flea."
The song was featured in a prominent scene of "A Man Without A Skin", a 1963 episode of "Naked City".
- João Gilberto - O Amor, o Sorriso e a Flor (1960)
- Caterina Valente - Caterina Valente Live 1968
- Sylvia Telles - Amor Em Hi-Fi (1960)
- Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba (1962)
- Herbie Mann and Tom Jobim - Do the Bossa Nova (1962)
- Quincy Jones - Big Band Bossa Nova (1962)
- Antonio Carlos Jobim - The Composer of Desafinado, Plays (1963)
- Eydie Gormé - Blame It On The Bossa Nova (1963)
- Clare Fischer - So Danço Samba (1964)
- Modern Jazz Quartet and Laurindo Almeida on Collaboration (1964)
- June Christy - Something Broadway, Something Latin (1965)
- Percy Faith - Latin Themes for Young Lovers (1965)
- Sérgio Mendes - Herb Alpert Presents Sérgio Mendes & Brasil '66 (1966)
- Cliff Richard - Kinda Latin (1966).
- Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim - Sinatra & Company (1967)
- Perrey and Kingsley - Kaleidoscopic Vibrations: Spotlight on the Moog (1967)
- Nara Leão - Dez Anos Depois (1971)
- Barbra Streisand (in a medley with "Johnny One Note") - Barbra Streisand...And Other Musical Instruments (1973)
- Kaye Ballard & Miss Piggy in an episode of "The Muppet Show"
- Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Abraça Jobim, Pablo, (1981) and a
- Joe Pass and Ella Fitzgerald - Fitzgerald and Pass... Again (1976)
- Stereolab Herbie Mann - Red Hot + Rio (1996)
- Bossacucanova - Revisited Classics (1998)
- Stereolab - Aluminum Tunes (1998)
- Bebel Gilberto Vinicius Cantuaria - Next Stop Wonderland (1998)
- Eumir Deodato & Barbara Mendes - OST from Bossa Nova (film) (2000)
- Al Jarreau - Expressions (2001)
- Royce Campbell - A Tribute To Charlie Byrd (2004)
- Sitti Navarro - Café Bossa (2006)
- Olivia Ong - A Girl Meets BossaNova 2 (2006)
- The Postmarks - By the Numbers (2008)