One Ok Rock
|ONE OK ROCK|
|Genres||Alternative rock, post-hardcore, pop punk|
2005-2006: Formation and Early Days
The foundation for One Ok Rock began when Toru Yamashita, then a high school student, wanted to start a band. He told his friend Ryota Kohama, a fellow member of the hip hop dance group Heads, to learn the bass and asked Alex Onizawa, who was their senior in school to join. He asked his classmate Tomo to play drums, but he left the band in 2006 for go deep in an acting career. Basically, Taka Moriuchi was playing with another band named Chivary of Music. Taka didn't feel enjoy playing with them, so Toru insisted that he join. After signing with a label, Amuse, Inc. Tomo left the band because his parents didn't want their son to walk in this way. Tomoya Kanki actually had been teaching in ESP (Musical Academy) and have a band. Same with Taka, that band isn't going well. Then he has joined with them since 2006, but only became an official member when they debuted in 2007.
The band's name, One Ok Rock, comes from "one o'clock", the time that the band used to practice on weekends. However, noticing that the [Japanese language] made no distinction between r's and l's, they changed "o'clock" to "o'crock" (or "o'krock"), which was then separated to become "ok rock".
2007-2009: Debut Album and Old Formation
Their debut single, Naihi Shinso surprisingly reached positions 48 on Oricon Chart and sold out 15,000 copies. Second single, Yume Yume followed that successful and reached position 43. After those singles, finally they released their debut album Zeitakubyō in 2007. This is their first time had a tour and played in many cities. Not long after that second album, Beam of Light released in May 2008. In interview with Rockin'On Magazine in June 2012, ONE OK ROCK didn't count this album as an album, but a part of growing up as a band. When they made this album, they weren't in the mood to make it, but they must make a song. That is the reason why until now they wouldn't play any songs from Beam of Light in live performances. It has been planned for releasing two albums in one year, so they released Kanjou Effects in November 2008. Shortly after release of Beam of Light they attend a gig in Shibuya AX and recorded as a DVD.
On April 5, 2009, Alex was arrested for groping the leg of a twenty-one-year-old female student on a train. He admitted to the charges and the case was settled out of court. However, the band's next single "Around the World Shounen", which was planned for a May 6 release and to be used as the theme song for the TV drama God Hand Teru, and their nationwide tour were both cancelled. In May 2009, it was announced that One Ok Rock would continue without Alex.
2010: New Formation
With four-formation, the band released the single "Kanzen Kankaku Dreamer" on February 3, 2010. It reached 9th on the Weekly Oricon Chart. They released their fourth studio album titled Niche Syndrome on June 9, 2010. Their next single, "Answer is Near", was released on February 16, 2011.
The band released their first double A-side single "Re:make/No Scared" on July 20, 2011, the latter song being the main theme for the Black Rock Shooter: The Game video game. The band's fifth album, Zankyo Reference, was released on October 5, 2011. Their latest single, "The Beginning", which is used as a theme for the live action movie adaptation of the Rurouni Kenshin manga, was released on August 22, 2012.
- Toru (山下 亨 Yamashita Tōru , born December 7, 1988 in Osaka) is the leader and guitarist of the group. He also contributes some vocals. He was previously a member of the hip-hop dance group Heads with Ryota.
- Taka (森田 貴寬 Morita Takahiro , born April 17, 1988 in Tokyo) is the main vocalist of the group. Prior to debuting with One Ok Rock, he was a member of the boy band NEWS. He is the son of singers Shinichi Mori and Masako Mori.
- Ryota (小浜 良太 Kohama Ryōta , born September 4, 1989 in Osaka) is the bassist of the group. He was also previously a member of the hip-hop dance group Heads with Toru.
- Tomoya (神吉 智也 Kanki Tomoya , born June 27, 1987 in Hyogo) is the drummer of the group.
- Alex (鬼澤アレクサンダー礼門 Onizawa Alexander Reimon , born March 19, 1988 in San Francisco) was rhythm guitarist of the group along with lead guitarist Toru, until he left in May 2009 after being arrested on charges of groping.
- Tomo (小柳友 Koyanagi Yuu , born August 29, 1988 in Tokyo) was the original drummer of the group since before their official debut. He left the band in June 2006 to follow an acting career.
|2008||Beam of Light
|2006||One Ok Rock
|Keep It Real
|Oricon Singles Charts
|Billboard Japan Hot 100*
|RIAJ digital tracks*
|2007||"Naihi Shinso" (内秘心書 Keep It Inside )||48||—||—||15,000||Zeitakubyō|
|"Yume Yume" (努努-ゆめゆめ- Absolutely )||43||—||—||9,200|
|"Et Cetera" (エトセトラ Eto Setora )||29||—||—||6,700|
|2008||"Hitsuzen Maker" (必然メーカー Necessary Maker ) †||—||—||—||—||Beam of Light|
|"Koi no Aibō Kokoro no Cupid" (恋ノアイボウ心ノクピド Love Companion, Cupid of the Heart ) †||—||—||—||—||Kanjō Effect|
|2010||"Kanzen Kankaku Dreamer" (完全感覚Dreamer Perfect Sensation Dreamer )||9||45||53||17,000||Niche Syndrome|
|"Jibun Rock" (じぶんROCK Rock of Yourself ) ‡||—||—||98||—|
|2011||"Answer is Near" (アンサイズニア)||6||13||27||38,000||Zankyo Reference|
|2012||"the same as..."||-||-||-||-|
|2013||"Deeper Deeper/Nothing Helps"||2||-||-||62,321|
"—" denotes releases that did not chart.
- Allmusic by Alexey Eremenko
- "ONE OK ROCK member arrested for groping". TokyoGraph. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "Interview with One Ok Rock in Tokyo". Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- Rockin'On Japan Magazine, June 2012 Edition: Interview with ONE OK ROCK
- "English Translations of Interview with ONE OK ROCK on Rockin'On Magazine June 2012". Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "One Ok Rock to return in summer, minus Alex". Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "ONE OK ROCK to Release Double-A-Side Single in July". Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "ONE OK ROCKのCD・DVDリリース情報、ONE OK ROCKのプロフィールならオリコン芸能人事典-ORICON STYLE" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- "Hot 100｜JAPAN Charts｜Billboard JAPAN" (in Japanese). Billboard.
- "有料音楽配信チャート" (in Japanese). RIAJ.