One Size Fits All (Frank Zappa album)
|One Size Fits All|
|Studio album by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention|
|Released||June 25, 1975|
|Recorded||Record Plant Studios, Los Angeles; Caribou Ranch, Nederland, CO; and Paramount Studios, Los Angeles,
August 1974 - April 1975
|Genre||Progressive rock, jazz fusion, hard rock, heavy metal|
|Frank Zappa chronology|
|Singles from One Size Fits All|
|Robert Christgau||C+ |
One Size Fits All is a 1975 rock album by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. A special four-channel quadraphonic version was prepared and advertised, but not released. It is the ninth and last studio album of the band.
The album features the final version of the Mothers of Invention, with George Duke, Chester Thompson, Ruth Underwood, Tom Fowler and Napoleon Murphy Brock. Zappa continued to tour and record, often with members of previous "Mothers of Invention" lineups.
The album features one of Zappa's most complex tracks, "Inca Roads". One of Zappa's heroes, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, guests on two tracks (flambe vocals on the out-choruses of "San Ber'dino" and "Andy").
Early U.S. LP pressings of One Size Fits All are notable in that they have the catalog number "BS 2879" inscribed - and crossed out - in the runoff matrix, indicating that at one point One Size Fits All was (perhaps mistakenly) planned to be released on Warner Bros. Records, whose Reprise Records subsidiary distributed Zappa's DiscReet Records label. The album was ultimately released on DiscReet with a catalog number in Reprise's sequence, DS 2216. Warner Bros. did not reassign the number BS 2879 to another album.
One Size Fits All was first released on CD by Rykodisc in 1988. It was reissued by Rykodisc in 1995 with restored cover art, but with identical sound quality. In 1996 a 24-karat gold Au20 edition was released with significantly improved sound quality. In 2012 it was remastered and reissued yet again by the Universal Music Group under the Zappa Records imprint.
All songs written by Frank Zappa.
|2.||"Can't Afford No Shoes"||2:38|
|3.||"Sofa No. 1"||2:39|
|6.||"Evelyn, a Modified Dog"||1:04|
|9.||"Sofa No. 2"||2:42|
- Frank Zappa – guitar, lead vocals on "Po-Jama People", "Evelyn, a Modified Dog" and "Sofa No. 2", backing vocals
- George Duke – keyboards, synthesizer, lead vocals on "Inca Roads", "Andy" and "Sofa No. 2", backing vocals
- Napoleon Murphy Brock – flute, tenor saxophone, lead vocals on "Florentine Pogen" and "Andy", backing vocals
- Ruth Underwood – marimba, vibraphone, percussion
- Chester Thompson – drums, sound effects, voices
- Tom Fowler – bass guitar
- James "Bird Legs" Youman – bass guitar on "Can't Afford No Shoes"
- Johnny "Guitar" Watson – vocals on "San Ber'dino" and "Andy"
- Captain Beefheart (credited as 'Bloodshot Rollin' Red') – harmonica
- Kerry McNabb – engineer, remixing
- Cal Schenkel – design, illustrations, paintings
- Robert Stone – engineer
- Michael Braunstein – engineer
- Unity – assistant engineer
- Dick Barber – assistant engineer, assistant
- Gary O. – engineer
- Ferenc Dobronyi – design
- J.E. Tully – design
- Coy Featherstone – assistant engineer
- Paul Hof – assistant engineer, assistant
- Matti Laipio – voices, assistant engineer
- Bill Romero – voices, assistant engineer
- Richard "Tex" Abel – assistant engineer, assistant
- Jukka – engineer
- Couture, F. (2011). "One Size Fits All - The Mothers of Invention | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- Christgau, R. (2011). "Robert Christgau: CG: Artist 4155". robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "One Size Fits All". Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- Zappa Patio unreleased discography
- "Charts and Awards for One Size Fits All". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-08-22.