One Size Fits All (Frank Zappa album)
|One Size Fits All|
|Studio album by Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention|
|Released||June 25, 1975|
|Recorded||Record Plant Studios, Los Angeles; Caribou Ranch, Nederland, CO; and Paramount Studios, Los Angeles,
August 1974 - April 1975
|Genre||Progressive rock, jazz fusion, hard rock|
|Frank Zappa chronology|
|Singles from One Size Fits All|
|Robert Christgau||C+ |
One Size Fits All is a 1975 rock album by Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention. A special four-channel Quadraphonic version of the album was prepared and advertised, but not released. It is the ninth and last studio album of the band.
The album features the final version of The Mothers of Invention, with George Duke, Chester Thompson, Ruth Underwood, Tom Fowler and Napoleon Murphy Brock. Zappa continued to tour and record, often with members of previous "Mothers of Invention" lineups.
The album itself features one of Zappa's most complex and well-known tracks, "Inca Roads". One of Zappa's heroes, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, guests on two tracks (flambe vocals on the out-choruses of San Ber'dino and Andy).
Early U.S. LP pressings of One Size Fits All are particularly notable, for two reasons:
- Some copies also have the catalog number "BS 2879" inscribed - and crossed out - in the runoff matrix, indicating that at one point One Size Fits All was (perhaps mistakenly) planned to be released on Warner Bros. Records, whose Reprise Records subsidiary distributed Zappa's DiscReet Records label. The album was ultimately released on DiscReet with a catalog number in Reprise's sequence, DS 2216. Warner Bros. did not reassign the number BS 2879 to another album.
All songs written by Frank Zappa.
|2.||"Can't Afford No Shoes"||2:38|
|3.||"Sofa No. 1"||2:39|
|6.||"Evelyn, a Modified Dog"||1:04|
|9.||"Sofa No. 2"||2:42|
- Frank Zappa – vocals, guitar
- George Duke – keyboards, vocals, backing vocals, synthesizer
- Ruth Underwood – marimba, vibraphone, percussion
- Johnny "Guitar" Watson – vocals on "San Ber'dino" and "Andy"
- James "Bird Legs" Youman – bass guitar
- Chester Thompson – drums, sound effects, voices
- Tom Fowler – bass guitar
- Captain Beefheart (credited as 'Bloodshot Rollin' Red') – harmonica
- Napoleon Murphy Brock – tenor saxophone, vocals, backing vocals, flute
- Kerry McNabb – engineer, remixing
- Cal Schenkel – design, illustrations, paintings
- Robert Stone – engineer
- Michael Braunstein – engineer
- Unity – assistant engineer
- Dick Barber – assistant engineer, assistant
- Gary O. – engineer
- Ferenc Dobronyi – design
- J.E. Tully – design
- Coy Featherstone – assistant engineer
- Paul Hof – assistant engineer, assistant
- Matti Laipio – voices, assistant engineer
- Bill Romero – voices, assistant engineer
- Richard "Tex" Abel – assistant engineer, assistant
- Jukka – engineer
- Couture, F. (2011 [last update]). "One Size Fits All - The Mothers of Invention | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- Scaruffi, P. (2011 [last update]). "The History of Rock Music. Frank Zappa: biography, discography, reviews, links". scaruffi.com. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- Christgau, R. (2011 [last update]). "Robert Christgau: CG: Artist 4155". robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "One Size Fits All". Retrieved July 08, 2012.
- Zappa Patio unreleased discography
- "Charts and Awards for One Size Fits All". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-08-22.