One Thousand Violins
|One Thousand Violins|
|Genres||indie pop, alternative rock|
|Labels||Dreamworld, Immaculate, Report, Vinyl Japan|
|Associated acts||The Page Boys, The Dylans, The Chrysalids|
|Past members||Colin Gregory
The band was formed in 1985 by Darren Swindells (bass), Colin Gregory (guitar), John Wood (vocals), David Walmsley (keyboards/guitar), and Peter Day (drums). Gregory and Walmsley had previously played together in The Page Boys. Their first single, "Halcyon Days" was released in 1985. The B-side, "Like One Thousand Violins" was voted into that year's Festive 50 by listeners to John Peel's BBC Radio 1 show, the band having recorded a session for the show earlier that year. 1986 saw a second Peel session, and the band breaking into the indie chart with "Please Don't Sandblast My House", which reached number 11. In 1987, Day was replaced by Ian Addey, and the indie hits continued with "Ungrateful Bastard", "Locked Out of The Love-In", and "If I Were a Bullet". The following year the band's debut album, Hey Man That's Beautiful was released, and Wood departed, to be replaced by ex-Hays Office singer Vince Keenan. With the band troubled by financial problems and 'mind differences', they split in 1989.
Colin Gregory went on to form The Dylans. Keenan went on to join Splendid Fellows and later SPIGGOTT. Walmsley died from cancer in 1992. Following his departure, original vocalist John Wood formed The Chrysalids with Yves Altana and a retrospective was released in 2012 entitled Neither Love Nor Money.
While the band's success during their lifetime was limited, the internet and the interest in this era of indie pop saw interest in the band increase. Vinyl Japan issued a collection of the band's work in 2001, Like One Thousand Violins.
- "Halcyon Days" (1985) Dreamworld
- "Like One Thousand Violins" (1985) Dreamworld
- "Please Don't Sandblast My House" (1986) Dreamworld (#11)
- "Ungrateful Bastard" (1987) Constrictor (#27)
- "Locked Out Of The Love-In" (1987) Dreamworld (#13)
- "If I Were a Bullet" (1987) Report (#17)
- "If Only Words" Immaculate
- "All Aboard The Lovemobile" Immaculate
Albums and EPs
- Please Don't Sandblast My House (six track EP) (1987) Constrictor
- Locked Out of the Love-In" (1987) Constrictor
- Hey Man That's Beautiful (1988) Immaculate
- Like One Thousand Violins (2001) Vinyl Japan
- Larkin, Colin (1992). The Guinness Who's Who of Indie and New Wave Music. Guinness Publishing. ISBN 0-85112-579-4.
- Sutton, Colin. "One Thousand Violins Biography". allmusic.com. Macrovision Corporation. Retrieved 25 March 2008.
- "Keeping It Peel : 1,000 Violins". Keeping It Peel. BBC. Retrieved 25 March 2008.
- Lazell, Barry (1997). Indie Hits 1980-1999. Cherry Red Books. ISBN 0-9517206-9-4.
|This article on a United Kingdom pop music band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|