One Young World
One Young World stages annual Summits in different World Cities where delegates from charities, NGOs, corporations and universities are joined by world leaders, acting as One Young World Counsellors.
Since inception in 2009, One Young World has staged 5 Summits for a total 6,000 delegates between the ages of 18-30 from over 190 countries.
Since One Young World’s founding in 2010, there have been four Summits, the first in London, England, on 8–10 February 2010. Subsequent Summits were in Zurich, Switzerland, 2011; Pittsburgh, USA, 2012; Johannesburg, South Africa, 2013. and Dublin, Ireland, 2014.
At the One Young World Summit, which has been referred to as a “Young Davos,” delegates discuss global issues and develop solutions "to meet the challenges of the 21st century." Topics are chosen by a survey of former delegates.
Kofi Annan has spoken to Delegates at 4 One Young World Summits. He is a Ghanaian diplomat who served as the seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations for 9 years. He was a co-recipient of the 2001 Nobel Peace Prize with the UN. He is the Founder and Chairman of the Kofi Annan Foundation, as well as being the Chairman of The Elders.
Muhammad Yunus is a Bangladeshi social entrepreneur, banker, economist and civil society leader who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for founding the Grameen Bank and pioneering the concepts of microcredit and microfinance. Yunus was a Counsellor at One Young World Summits: 2010 in London, 2011 in Zurich and 2012 in Pittsburgh.
Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu
Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu is a South African social rights activist and retired Anglican bishop who rose to worldwide fame during the 1980s as an opponent of apartheid. He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984; the Albert Schweitzer Prize for Humanitarianism in 1986; the Pacem in Terris Award in 1987; the Sydney Peace Prize in 1999; and the Gandhi Peace Prize in 2007. He spoke to Delegates at the One Young World Summits in London and Zurich.
Sir Richard Branson
Sir Richard Branson is a British businessman and investor. He is best known as the founder of Virgin Group, which comprises more than 400 companies. Branson was knighted in the year 2000 for services to entrepreneurship. Branson's philanthropic efforts include pledging to donate over half of his net wealth to charitable causes.
Vicente Fox was President of Mexico from 2000 to 2006. His term in office marked the end of 71 years of uninterrupted rule by the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). He joined 4 other Latin American Presidents at the One Young World Summit 2014 in Dublin, Ireland to discuss the Telefonica Millennial Survey. He told those in the audience that eradicating corruption ‘has to start with education’ and that his focus is now on promoting leadership.
One Young World Summits
The 2012 Summit was held at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on 18–21 October 2012. The plenary topics were education, global business, health, human rights, leadership, sustainable development and transparency.
|Dubai||United Arab Emirates|
|Cape Town||South Africa|
|Washington D.C.||United States|
The 2011 Summit was held in Zurich, Switzerland on 2011 September 1–4. It was opened by Haakon, Crown Prince of Norway, who spoke on the 2011 massacre in Utoya, Norway, and on his Global Dignity initiative.
Plenary topics were global business, media, global health, interfaith dialogue, environment and leadership.
The first Summit was held in London on 8–10 February 2010. Topics were environment, interfaith dialogue, global business, media, global health and politics. It drew 823 young people from 112 countries.
- "Pittsburgh is a finalist for young leaders Summit". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 4 June 2011.
- Jay Fitzgerald, "Ready for 'Young Davos' Summit," Boston Herald, January 28, 2010
- http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/one-year-count-down-to-one-young-world-2012-kicks-off-with-co-founders-passing-baton-to-pittsburgh-leadership-132648523.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/one-young-world-secures-egyptian-activist-wael-ghonim-as-counselor-126079358.html. Missing or empty
- "One Young World Summit 2012 Pittsburgh, USA". Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Former President Bill Clinton coming to Pittsburgh for One Young World Summit". Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Pittsburgh Becomes First U.S. City to Host One Young World Summit". Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "One Young World Pittsburgh Partnership". Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Clinton To Address One Young World in Pittsburgh".
- http://www.kongehuset.no/c28424/nyhet/vis.html?tid=93885[dead link]
- http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/1200-young-leaders-dictate-their-demands-for-change-at-one-young-world-2011-128871123.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/senator-john-kerry-to-address-inaugural-summit-of-one-young-world-in-london-82688467.html. Missing or empty