|Easley Covered Bridge, a county-owned, 95-foot (29 m) town lattice truss bridge built in 1927. Its WGCB number is 01-05-12.|
|Motto: A Small City with Big Ideas|
|Blount County and the state of Alabama|
|• Mayor||Ross Norris|
|• Total||15.3 sq mi (39.5 km2)|
|• Land||15.2 sq mi (39.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||873 ft (266 m)|
|• Density||433/sq mi (167.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0152813|
Oneonta is a city in Blount County, Alabama, United States. At the 2010 census the population was 6,567. The city is the county seat of Blount County. Oneonta is home to the Covered Bridge Festival.
Oneonta is located in eastern Blount County at 33°56'32.291" North, 86°28'43.586" West (33.942303, -86.478774). It is situated in Murphree Valley between Red Mountain and Sand Mountain to the northwest and Straight Mountain to the southeast.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,576 people, 2,177 households, and 1,419 families residing in the city. The population density was 363.4 inhabitants per square mile (140.3 /km2). There were 2,373 housing units at an average density of 154.7 per square mile (59.7 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 85.87% White, 7.41% Black or African American, 0.48% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 4.45% from other races, and 1.60% from two or more races. 13.24% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,177 households out of which 28.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.8% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.8% were non-families. 32.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the city the age distribution of the population shows 21.5% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 21.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 91.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,620, and the median income for a family was $40,125. Males had a median income of $30,430 versus $19,531 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,166. About 8.4% of families and 14.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.2% of those under age 18 and 22.7% of those age 65 or over.
The city government is made up of Mayor Ross Norris, and a five-person city council —Hal Blackwood, Mark Gargus, Tim McNair,and Tonya H. Rogers.
- City Manager: Ed Lowe
- City Clerk: Tammie Noland
Public education is provided by Oneonta City Schools. There are two schools in the city: Oneonta Elementary School (grades K through 6) and Oneonta High School (grades 7 through 12).
WCRL 1570 AM - Oldies (simulcasts on translator W237DH 95.3FM)
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Oneonta city, Alabama". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "26th Annual Blount County Covered Bridge Festival". Blount-Oneonta Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- "Blount County Courthouse in Oneonta". Encyclopedia of Alabama. October 6, 2009. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- Hutchinson, Daniel (October 6, 2009). "World War II POW Camps in Alabama". Encyclopedia of Alabama. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- City of Oneonta official website
- Blount County-Oneonta Chamber of Commerce
- Oneonta City Schools
- Oneonta Business Association