Ong Ka Chuan
|Yang Berhormat Dato' Seri
Ong Ka Chuan
|Malaysian Minister of Housing and Local Government|
March 18, 2008 – April 9, 2009
|Preceded by||Ong Ka Ting|
|Succeeded by||Kong Cho Ha|
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
for Tanjung Malim
March 8, 2008
|Preceded by||Loke Yuen Yow|
|Political party||Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA) part of Barisan Nasional|
|Spouse(s)||Chan Beng Choo|
Dato' Seri Ong Ka Chuan (simplified Chinese: 黄家泉; traditional Chinese: 黃家泉; pinyin: Huáng Jiāquán; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: N̂g Ka-chôan) is a Malaysian politician and the Member of Parliament for Tanjung Malim, Perak. He is a former Minister of Housing and Local Government and former secretary-general of the Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA), a component party of the Barisan Nasional coalition.
Early and personal life
Ong was a member of the Perak State Assembly from 1986 to 2004, before contesting the federal seat of Batu Gajah in the 2004 general election. He lost to Fong Poh Kuan of the Democratic Action Party (DAP), despite the Barisan Nasional coalition making widespread gains nationwide. Despite this, he was appointed MCA secretary-general the following year and served concurrently with his brother Ong Ka Ting as president.
In the 2008 general elections, Ong contested and won the Tanjung Malim parliamentary seat. He was appointed Minister of Housing and Local Government. Later that year, Ong contested the MCA deputy presidency but lost to Chua Soi Lek, and was immediately removed as secretary-general by new president Ong Tee Keat. In 2009, he was dropped from the Cabinet by incoming Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak.
|2008||Ong Ka Chuan (MCA)||21,016||55%||Mohamad Azman Marjohan (PKR)||15,594||41%|
|2004||Ong Ka Chuan (MCA)||20,814||41%||Fong Po Kuan (DAP)||28,847||57%|
|1986||Ong Ka Chuan (MCA)||7,754||64%||Aw Too Yen (DAP)||3,825||31%|
|1990||Ong Ka Chuan (MCA)||9,482||68%||Shelvarajah (DAP)||3,551||26%|
|1995||Ong Ka Chuan (MCA)||8,582||73%||Harikrishnan (DAP)||2,271||19%|
|1999||Ong Ka Chuan (MCA)||7,168||59%||Mahinder Singh (PKR)||3,611||30%|
- "New ministers and deputy ministers". The Star (Star Publications). 19 March 2008. Retrieved 18 June 2010.
- "Ong Ka Chuan, Y.B. Dato' Seri" (in Malay). Parliament of Malaysia. Retrieved 19 June 2010.[dead link]
- "Chua's the No.1". New Straits Times/asiaone. 29 March 2010. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- Foong Pek Yee (26 March 2010). "Kong-Liow tussle seen as a proxy fight". The Star (Star Publications). Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- "Ka Chuan takes over from Chew Peh as MCA sec-gen". New Straits Times (New Straits Times Press). 31 August 2005.
- Chua Soi Lek Elected As The Deputy President Of The MCA Warkah. Oct. 19, 2008
- Wong is MCA secretary-general The Star. November 12, 2009
- "Syed Hamid, Azalina among eight dropped". The Sun (Berjaya Media Berhad). 9 April 2009. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 19 June 2010. Percentage figures based on total turnout.