Cover of the first light novel
(Onii-chan dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!)
|Genre||Harem, Romantic comedy, Ecchi|
|Written by||Daisuke Suzuki|
|Illustrated by||Gekka Urū|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Imprint||MF Bunko J|
|Original run||December 21, 2010 – ongoing|
|Written by||Kurō Rokushō|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Alive|
|Original run||December 2011 – ongoing|
|Sakigake!! Onii-chan dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!|
|Written by||Akira Yamane|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Alive|
|Original run||July 2012 – March 2013|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Keiichirō Kawaguchi|
|Music by||Takahiro Ando|
|Network||AT-X, Tokyo MX|
|Original run||October 5, 2012 – December 21, 2012|
OniAi (お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ Onii-chan dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!?, lit. As Long as There's Love, It Doesn't Matter If He is My Brother, Right), is a Japanese light novel series written by Daisuke Suzuki, with illustrations by Gekka Urū. The series is published by Media Factory and since December 2010 there have been 10 volumes released. There are two manga adaptation series, both serialized in Media Factory's Monthly Comic Alive magazine. An anime adaptation by Silver Link aired in Japan from October 5 to December 21, 2012.
After six years of living apart due to the death of their parents, the Himenokōji twins, Akito and Akiko, are finally reunited when Akito desires to live as a family once more. Although things are fine at first, Akiko begins to express her incestuous love for her older brother, who only sees her as his little sister.
- Akito Himenokōji (姫小路 秋人 Himenokōji Akito?)
- Voiced by: Ryōta Ōsaka
- The main protagonist. Akito recently reunited with his sister, after being separated for six years, and transferred into Saint Liliana High School Class 2A. He is generally lazy and hopes to live a normal life, but he will also work with his full strength to achieve his goal. He started to take care of his sister when he was young, however when their parents died, the siblings got separated. After six years, he was finally able to reunite with her and moved out to live by themselves, but only to find out that she has a brother complex, which had developed while they were separated at youth. It is later revealed that he was actually adopted by his former parents, and has no blood relationship with his sister, but he chose to keep this as a secret, especially to her. He loves to tease Akiko, or watching others tease her. Akito is quite over-protective of Akiko, and people around him often comment about Akito having a serious sister complex, although he insists that he only sees her as his little sister. Since the siblings are now living by themselves, he secretly makes their living by writing erotic novels of brother-sister incest under the pen name "Kōichirō Shindo", and has become a famous author. He uses their relationship as the setting, with the characters' names being very similar to their own. He is given the job of Student Council's "Vice-Assistant of Proxy of Secretary", that Arashi happily claims that's a fabricated position for her underground lover; technically, he is the assistant of the secretary, Akiko.
- Akiko Himenokōji (姫小路 秋子 Himenokōji Akiko?)
- Voiced by: Ibuki Kido
- Saint Liliana High School Second year student. Akiko is Akito's sister, has a pretty appearance and polite manners. However, she has a very serious brother-complex, and is taking a very active way to seduce Akito. She is also very proud of her brother complex and makes no effort of hiding it but at the same time, denies that her brother in turn has a sister-complex. She is the secretary of Saint Liliana High School Student Council, but is very reluctant when Akito interacts with other student council members. She doesn't know that Akito has no blood relationship with her and believes that they are twins; according to their deceased mother. She is a fan of Kōichirō Shindo, and wishes her brother would be as aggressive as the brother in Kōichirō Shindo's novel; however she hasn't noticed that Kōichirō Shindo is actually her brother, and that the beginning of his novel is based on their relationship.
- Anastasia Nasuhara (那須原 アナスタシア Nasuhara Anasutashia?)
- Voiced by: Minori Chihara
- Saint Liliana High School Second year student and the Vice-President of the Student Council and the daughter of the owner of Nasuhara industry, a world-wide company. Anastasia is half-Russian and half-American due her having both American and Russian parents, and she also has blonde twintails. She has a cold personality and often asks strange questions, for example as asking Akito if he is a cherry boy (A term for virgin) when they first met. She is the rival of Akiko and is proud of that she wins a small bit on almost everything, including height, grades, breast size, rank during Miss Saint Liliana High School Election, and Student Council rank. However, she is extremely bad at house chores due to her wealthy family, to the point that she will gladly admit it and try to escape from doing them. She also loves cute things, and not only keeps lots of plushies in her room, but also loves to play with Alisa. Despite being a rival of Akiko, she goes very well with Akito and confessed to him on his first day to school. Although Akito hasn't gotten a chance to answer due to the chaotic situation that the confession brings on afterwards. She demands that Akito call her Ana, but teases him for calling a girl "hole" (because ana (穴) means hole in japanese) whenever he does so.
- Ginbei Haruomi Sawatari (猿渡 銀兵衛 春臣 Sawatari Ginbei Haruomi?)
- Voiced by: Asami Shimoda
- Akito's childhood friend. Despite having a boyish name and way of talking, Ginbei is a girl and secretly has feelings towards Akito. Due to her merchant family tradition, she was raised like a boy and not allowed to take a job herself, living only on her family's financial support. She later transferred into Saint Liliana High School and became the accountant of the Student Council. Despite the fact she even dared to move and transfer schools to follow Akito, Akito often refers to her unintentionally as his best (normal) friend, which greatly disappoints her. She has a habit of mumbling about Akito's ignorance whenever he overlooks her feelings.
- Arashi Nikaidō (二階堂 嵐 Nikaidō Arashi?)
- Voiced by: Eri Kitamura
- Saint Liliana High School Third year student and the President of the Student Council, Arashi wears a ponytail, has heterochromia and is seen often wearing an eyepatch on her right eye. She is also often seen carrying a real katana. She has the best grades out of the whole 3rd year students and is a powerful leader, being able not only to handle most of the Student Council chores by herself, but also to take control of most of the school's activity. She is bisexual and very sexually aggressive, claiming she has had over 30 lovers, thus gaining the nickname "The Predator". However, later in the story she decides to break up peacefully with her lovers in order to make the Student Council into her harem and to seduce them. She also has the habit of referring to Akito as either her underground lover or sex slave. She is actually Akito's cousin before his adoption by his parents, and knows that Akito is adopted by her family, and decides to support him if she can. She is the only one who knows that Kōichirō Shindo is actually Akito's pen name.
- Arisa Takanomiya (鷹ノ宮 ありさ Takanomiya Arisa?)
- Voiced by: Sumire Morohoshi
- Daughter of Akito's adoptive family and also his fiancée. Arisa is a genius, despite being only 12 years old, she has already graduated from a famous university, and her essay is on multiple famous professional magazines. She is also good at house chores. At the end of the 4th novel, she moved in to live with the student council members. While most student council members prefer to say that the engagement doesn't count due to her age, Akiko is the only one that views her as a love rival. However, after an argument of who is better for Akito, the two of them decide to work together as they notice that Akito sees both of them as his sisters rather than a potential love interest. She has a habit of going silent and showing emotions on her face, which is so cute that people who see it can't resist accepting her will.
- Kaoruko Jinno (神野 薫子 Jinno Kaoruko?)
- Voiced by: Megumi Takamoto
- Kōichirō Shindo's personal editor, Kaoruko worries that Akito has a sister complex and is trying to fix it.
OniAi started as a Japanese light novel series, written by Daisuke Suzuki, with illustrations by Gekka Urū. The series is published by Media Factory under their MF Bunko J imprint. The series' first volume was released on December 21, 2010, and as of March 25, 2014, there have been 11 volumes total. A drama CD was released bundled with the limited edition of the seventh volume, published on September 22, 2012.
A manga adaptation series by Kurō Rokushō began serialization in the December 2011 issue of Media Factory's seinen manga magazine Monthly Comic Alive. The series has also been released in 5 volumes, between February 23, 2012, and October 23, 2013. A manga series by Akira Yamane, titled Sakigake!! Onii-chan dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne! (魁!! お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ?) was also published in Monthly Comic Alive between its July 2012 and March 2013 issues. Its first volume was released on November 22, 2012.
A 12-episode anime television series adaptation, directed by Keiichiro Kawaguchi and produced by studio Silver Link, aired in Japan between October 5 and December 21, 2012, and was later simulcasted by Funimation. The opening theme for the anime is "Self Producer" by Minori Chihara, whilst the ending theme is "Life-Ru is Love-Ru!! (Lifeる is LOVEる!!?), by Liliana Sisters consisting of Ibuki Kido, Minori Chihara, Asami Shimoda and Eri Kitamura. The opening sequence has attracted some attention because of the sexual and incest innuendos present in it.
The series was released on Blu-ray Disc and DVD in Japan in 6 volumes between December 2012 and May 2013. A North American release by Funimation with subtitles in English was released on December 31, 2013.
|October 5, 2012|
|After being apart for six years, Akiko Himenokoji finally moves in with her brother Akito — who is immediately taken aback by Akiko's precocities, which include insisting that he peep on her whilst she bathes. Later, Ginbei, Anastasia, and Arashi move into the same dormitory, much to Akiko's dismay.|
|October 12, 2012|
|Akito meets with his editor Kaoruko at a restaurant where they discuss Akito's next novel. Akito has also discovered that Akiko has been reading the novels — all incestuous stories — that Akito wrote under an assumed name.|
"Bura Nashi" (ぶらなし)
|October 19, 2012|
|When Akito goes to collect the laundry from the line and moves on to Akiko's panties, Akiko rushes out and falsely accuses him of having perverted thoughts. Anastasia has taken a liking to Akito and asks him to be her boyfriend — resulting in an adverse reaction from Akiko.|
|October 26, 2012|
|Akito helps Anastasia organise her room, whereupon Anastasia attempts to take advantage of him. Later, Akiko, Ginbei, Anastasia, and Arashi take a bath together, where they deride each other for the calibre of their bodies.|
|November 2, 2012|
|Having read over the material Akito submitted for publication, Kaoruko begins to question whether Akito has incestuous feelings for his sister. Later, when the door to the shed is locked, Arashi attempts to take advantage of Akito.|
|November 9, 2012|
|Kaoruko comes to the dormitory to ask Akito's cohabitants whether he has any incestuous feelings for his sister, of which she leaves convinced especially as Akiko seizes the opportunity to trumpet her love for her brother. In response to the allegations, the cohabitants resolve that Akito and Akiko must sleep in separate rooms. Later, it is learned that Arashi took on Arisa, Akito's fiancée, as the new housekeeper.|
|November 16, 2012|
|With Arisa's arrival at the dormitory, Akiko believes that her chances of having Akito to herself are threatened and challenges Arisa to a series of competitions to determine who is better suited for Akito. Akito eventually tides over the situation by declaring that he loves them both as sisters.|
|November 23, 2012|
|Arisa, Ginbei, Akiko, Anastasia, and Arashi go shopping for swimsuits and then ask Akito to decide which one is the best.|
|November 30, 2012|
|Akito catches Ginbei conversing with a cat outside the school grounds. Later, when Akito takes ill, his cohabitants argue over who should be able to take care of him before deciding to take shifts doing so.|
|December 7, 2012|
|Ginbei recounts how she and Akito first met and why she thinks Akito looks at her as a boy. When Akito recovers, his cohabitants ask him to decide who took the best care of him; he chooses Arashi, who did nothing but change his head towel. It transpires that Kaoruko caught Akito's illness and sleeps in the editorial offices, agonising about the worst possible scenarios regarding what she believes is Akito's feelings for his sister.|
|December 14, 2012|
|Anastasia can't find her underwear and is forced to spend the rest of the day without it, which proves troublesome when Arisa reports something strange in the woods and the gang decides to investigate. When their search turns up nothing and they lose each other whilst going home, Anastasia reminisces about how she and the Himenokoji twins met. Kaoruko has a fever-induced dream that she and Akito's cohabitants have entered a polygamous marriage with him.|
|December 21, 2012|
|Anastasia reminisces about her first impressions of Akito. The gang returns from the woods without seeing any ghosts, but after Kaoruko and a litter of kittens turn up in the yard, the apparition of green flames sends everyone scurrying into Akito's room for cover. Things get even more complicated when Akito discovers that Arisa has slept on his lap in the nude. Akiko then apologises to Akito for having doubts as to whether he would come back for her after being separated. The credits roll with Akito explaining that he is not actually related to Akiko by blood, but that he prefers to keep that to himself since he believes that Akiko needs a brother to look up to.|
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ (MF文庫J)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ11 (MF文庫J)" (in Japanese). mediafactory.co.jp. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ7 ドラマCD付き特装版 (MF文庫J)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ 1 (MFコミックス アライブシリーズ)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ 5 (MFコミックス アライブシリーズ)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "魁!! お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ 1 (アライブコミックス)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "OniAi Romantic Comedy TV Anime's 1st Promo Streamed". Anime News Network. July 30, 2012. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- "Funimations Streams Code:Breaker, Jormungand, Kamisama Kiss, Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, OniAi". Anime News Network. October 9, 2012. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- "Sankaku Complex - Sexual Innuendos in Oniai".
- "Twitter - Incest Innuendos between Brother and Sister".
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ Vol.1 [DVD]" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ Vol.1 [Blu-ray]" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ Vol.6 [DVD]" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ Vol.6 [Blu-ray]" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Funimation Discusses OniAi Release With Only English Subtitles". Anime News Network. September 21, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.