Location in Accomack County and the state of Virginia.
|• Total||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|• Land||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||43 ft (13 m)|
|• Density||650/sq mi (250/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1493377|
- ZIP Code: 23418
- Area Code: 757
- Local Phone Exchange: 787
Onley is located at (37.690352, -75.716759).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.81 square miles (2.1 km2), of which 0.81 square miles (2.1 km2) is land and 0.008 square miles (0.02 km2), or 0.98%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 496 people, 223 households, and 144 families residing in the town. The population density was 607.9 people per square mile (233.5/km²). There were 271 housing units at an average density of 332.1 per square mile (127.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 83.27% White, 13.91% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.40% Asian, 1.61% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.41% of the population.
There were 223 households out of which 23.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.0% were married couples living together, 11.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.4% were non-families. 32.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.22 and the average family size was 2.72.
In the town the population was spread out with 18.8% under the age of 18, 5.0% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 25.4% from 45 to 64, and 26.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 84.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $36,750, and the median income for a family was $42,891. Males had a median income of $28,854 versus $21,964 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,115. About 8.3% of families and 12.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.4% of those under age 18 and 12.6% of those age 65 or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Onley has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Onley town, Virginia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Onley town, Virginia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Climate Summary for Onley, Virginia