Online Grocer refers to a grocery store that allows private individuals and businesses to purchase groceries and grocery products online. There is usually a delivery charge for this service. Online grocery delivery services are available throughout Europe, Asia and North America, mostly in urban centres.
The first method of delivery involves shipping groceries using courier services. If the order contains cold or frozen items, the grocer will use the method of "Flash freezing" the goods and pack them into special shipping containers. These online grocers usually offer a large or national delivery area.
The second method of grocery delivery is a personal delivery. Most local online grocers have their own drivers and are able to deliver goods faster than the first method. The most common type of personal delivery involves storing grocery inventory in a warehouse to deliver to customers once orders are placed. Another type of personal delivery which is less common is based on just-in-time business in which there is no warehouse or inventory. In this type of delivery, customers place orders for next-day delivery. The online grocer shops for the groceries on the morning of the delivery day.
Online grocery delivery services are currently available throughout the UK, Spain, Asia and North America, mostly in urban centres.
- List of online grocers
- HomeGrocer (one of the first online supermarket businesses)
- Thrifty Foods (Canadian online Grocer since 2004)
- Safeway Inc.
- http://www.padgadget.com/2011/01/11/peapod-brings-online-grocery-shopping-service-to-ipad/, Peapod Brings Online Grocery Shopping Service to iPad, Pad Gadget, January 11, 2011, Retrieved February 1, 2011.
- http://www.logisticsmanager.com/Articles/15470/Online+grocer+heads+towards+profit+.html, Online grocer heads towards profit Published: 01 February 2011 03:51 PM, Retrieved February 1, 2011.
- http://www.indystar.com/article/20110201/BUSINESS04/102010317/Meijer-begins-selling-groceries-online?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com, Meijer begins selling groceries online, Dana Hunsinger, Feb 1, 2011, Retrieved February1, 2011.