|Labels||Fat Wreck Chords|
|Associated acts||ALL, Bane, Black Flag, Converge, Creep Division, Descendents, Good Riddance, Hagfish, State of Grace|
|Past members||Zach Blair
Only Crime is a melodic hardcore group formed by Good Riddance singer Russ Rankin and Bane guitarist Aaron Dalbec in 2003. The band plays melodic but hard-hitting punk rock that borrows heavily from early-1980s hardcore bands such as Black Flag.
In 2002, Russ Rankin found himself ill-at-ease with the situation of his other band Good Riddance. The band did not play frequently, and Rankin wanted to tour more. He set out to form another band that would be more active and that would pursue his drug/alcohol-free aesthetics and lifestyle.
While touring with Good Riddance, Russ became friends with Aaron Dalbec from the band Bane. When Russ asked him to play guitar in the new band, Aaron agreed. Zach Blair and his brother Doni Blair also joined because their bands, including Hagfish, were less active than they wanted.
When Russ was in the Blasting Room with Good Riddance to record Bound By Ties of Blood and Affection, he asked producer Bill Stevenson - legendary drummer of seminal punk bands Black Flag, Descendents, and All - to be the drummer in his new project. The band was given the name Only Crime and they released their debut album on Fat Wreck Chords in 2004, entitled To the Nines.
Guitarist Zach Blair had recently left due to commitments with Rise Against. He was replaced by Matt Hoffman of Modern Life Is War.
Bassist Doni Blair left in summer of 2007, after touring extensively with Only Crime, to spend more time with his family and pursue his instrumental project, the Mag Seven (also with Bill Stevenson). He was temporarily replaced by Zack Busby (formerly of the Burden Brothers). Doni's last show was August 15, 2007, in Kansas City. Only Crime's current bassist is Dan Kelly. 
The band started working on their third album, but the band ended up getting put on hold for a while due to Stevenson being sick. The band last toured together in 2010. As of April 2013, Rankin claims their third album has been finished and it will be released in 2013.
Compilation album appearances
- Anti-Floyd - The Terrier State (2004)
- Includes "Tenebrae" from To the Nines
- Rock Against Bush, Vol. 2 (2004)
- Includes "Doomsday Breach" from To the Nines
- In Honor: A Compilation to Beat Cancer (2004)
- Includes the previously unreleased track "Hands of Failure"
- Thrasher Mag: Skate Rock, Vol. 12: Eat the Flag (2005)
- Includes the previously unreleased track "Another Lie"
- iFloyd (2006)
- Includes "Everything for You" from Virulence
- Fat Wreck Chords X-Mas Bonus (2006)
- Includes "Eyes of the World from Virulence
- Warped Tour 2007 Tour Compilation
- Includes "Take Me" from Virulence
- Hanuk-Comp (2007)
- Includes the previously unreleased track "What We've Become"
- Bands: Fat Wreck Chords
- Punknews.org - Only Crime writing new material
- Wells, Kevin (2013-04-08). "Interview: Russ Rankin of punk band Good Riddance (Pt. 2)". The Washington Times. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- Only Crime official website
- Only Crime on Myspace
- Fat Wreck Chords band page
- Bill Stevenson's website
- Bane official website
- Interview with Bill Stevenson (2007)
- Live pictures of Only Crime in Edmonton(2007)
- Podcast interview with Russ Rankin of Only Crime (audio)