Only Women Bleed
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2006)|
|"Only Women Bleed"|
|Single by Alice Cooper|
|from the album Welcome to My Nightmare|
|Writer(s)||Alice Cooper, Dick Wagner|
|Alice Cooper singles chronology|
"Only Women Bleed" is a song written by Alice Cooper and Dick Wagner. It is a ballad about a woman in an abusive marriage. The song is often mistakenly presumed to be about menstruation, and that has limited its play on radio and in other public forums. As a single by Cooper, it was released as "Only Women".
It is one of Cooper's biggest hits, reaching #1 on the Canadian RPM national singles chart and #12 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in 1975. It is from his album Welcome to My Nightmare. It was the first of several ballad releases by Cooper that reached the top 20 of the Hot 100 singles chart..
Prior to the release of Welcome to My Nightmare in the US, a shortened version of the song the single was released and was alternatively titled "Only Women" by Atlantic Records due to protests by feminist groups. The single version of the song featured more orchestral movements than the album version.
Cover versions of the song have been recorded by notable artists including:
- Tina Turner on the 1999 album Ike & Tina Turner- The Best of MusikLaden.
- Carmen McRae on her 1976 album Can't Hide Love.
- Julie Covington on her eponymous 1978 album; it reached #12 on the UK charts when it was released as a single.
- Etta James on her 1978 album Deep in the Night
- Ruby Turner on her 1986 album Women Hold Up Half the Sky
- Elkie Brooks on her 1986 album No More the Fool
- Lita Ford on her 1990 album Stiletto
- Favorite Angel on their 1990 album Only Women Bleed
- Slash (Guns N' Roses) on their Use Your Illusion Tour
- John Farnham on his 1993 album Then Again
- Dick Wagner on his 1995 solo album Rock HitStory
- Glenn Hughes, Paul Gilbert, Bob Kulick, Mike Porcaro, Steve Ferrone & Paul Taylor on the 1999 tribute album Humanary Stew: A Tribute to Alice Cooper
- Etta James on her 1999 album Heart of a Woman
- Audrey Turner on her 1999 album I Smell Trouble
- Tori Amos as a B-side to her 2001 single "Strange Little Girl"
- Luna B-side on the Lovedust single 2002
- The Chris Farlowe Band on his 2004 album Rock N Roll Soldier
- Wensday on her 2007 Album Torch Rock and a video based on her performance at Alice Cooper's 2006 Christmas Pudding Benefit
- Madeleine Martin for 2007 Californication
- Tina Arena on her 2008 album Songs of Love & Loss II
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- Weber, Barry. "Only Women Bleed - Alice Cooper : Listen, Appearances, Song Review". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
"Wildfire" by Michael Murphey
|Canadian RPM number-one single
July 5, 1975 (1 week)
"Listen to What the Man Said" by Wings