Only in Dreams (song)
|"Only in Dreams"|
|Song by Weezer from the album Weezer|
|Released||May 10, 1994|
|Recorded||August–September 1993 at Electric Lady Studios, NYC|
|Genre||Alternative rock, power pop|
"Only in Dreams" is a song by the band Weezer. It is the 10th and final track on their 1994 self-titled debut album. At nearly eight minutes it is to date Weezer's longest song. It is most noteworthy for its three minute long crescendo of the two guitars, bass, and drums, in which the dynamics gradually increase and the timbre builds up layers until the climaxing guitar solo at the end.
"Only In Dreams", in recent years, has typically been played at the end of a regular set (before the encore). However this is not true for the Summer of 2002 Enlightenment tour, when the set lists were determined by the roll of a 20-sided die.
When played live at indoor arenas, a dove, made of light, is flown above the floor audience. Weezer has also shot "=w=" confetti all over the audience during this song, giving the illusion of multi-colored rain falling on the crowd during the final guitar solo.
The song's lyrics tell the story of a young man who wants to be romantically involved with the girl of his dreams. But because he cannot do so in reality due to how popular she is, he can only fantasize about being with her in his dreams; hence the title of the song.
The song was rated #8 in Q Magazine's "20 Greatest Guitar Tracks" in September 2007.
When asked in 2006 which Weezer guitar solo he is the most proud of/likes the most, Rivers Cuomo answered, "I'd have to go with 'Only in Dreams' and [Make Believe track] 'Haunt You Every Day' for sheer length. Epic, epic, epic. So few people play these kinds of solos anymore."
IGN included "Only in Dreams" on their "Weezer Ultimate Mix" list, where they listed what songs they want to be compiled into a Weezer collection and called the song "the "Stairway to Heaven" for Generation X." They also listed the song on their "Top 10 Ambiguously Inspiring Songs" list, where they called it one of Weezer's best songs.
- Rivers Cuomo – lead guitar, lead vocals
- Patrick Wilson – percussion
- Brian Bell – rhythm guitar
- Matt Sharp – bass guitar
- Ric Ocasek – producer
- "News". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2005-02-12. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- "The 20 Greatest Guitar Tracks". Q Magazine. Retrieved 2007-09-11.
- "Rivers Cuomo Fan Interview 2006". Weezer.com. Retrieved 2007-09-11.
- J.R. "Weezer Ultimate Mix - Music Feature at IGN". Music.ign.com. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Barbapopa (2011-09-14). "Top 10 Ambiguously Inspiring Songs - Music Feature at IGN". Music.ign.com. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- "The Over/Under: Weezer". Magnetmagazine.com. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- By Christian Hoard (2004-04-19). "Weezer Blue Album [Deluxe] | Album Reviews". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Hogan, Marc. "Weezer: Weezer (Blue Album) [Deluxe Edition] < PopMatters". Popmatters.com. Retrieved 2011-11-14.