|Founder(s)||Jürgen Angele, Stefan Decker, Hans-Peter Schnurr, Steffen Staab, Rudi Studer|
The ontoprise GmbH was a provider of Semantic Web infrastructure technologies and products used to support dynamic semantic information integration and information management processes at the enterprise level. Its primary place of business was located at Karlsruhe, Germany.
The company was founded in 1999 by Prof. Dr. Juergen Angele, Prof. Dr. Stefan Decker, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer, Prof. Dr. Steffen Staab, and Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Ing. Hans-Peter Schnurr as a spin-off from Karlsruhe University (Germany) to commercialize newly developed technologies on ontology reasoning. In 2012 the company filed for bankruptcy, see below. On July 6, 2012, Darmstadt-based semafora systems GmbH (with financial backing from Triangle Venture Capital Group) took over some products and business areas from Ontoprise, namely SemanticGuide, SemanticMiner, OntoBroker, OntoStudio, SemanticIntegrator and SemanticContentAnalytics. Commercial support for SMW+ is now offered by DIQA, a start-up founded by former Ontoprise employees.
- OntoStudio (formerly OntoEdit): modeling environment to create and maintain ontologies.
- OntoBroker: fast Semantic Web-Middleware for inferencing and managing ontologies. It supports the W3C Semantic Web recommendations: OWL, RDF, RDFS, SPARQL, RIF, and ObjectLogic (the successor of F-logic).
- SemanticMiner: ontology based company search.
- SemanticMiner for SharePoint: Microsoft SharePoint Server ontology search extension
- SemanticGuide: expert system for field service
- SMW+: semantic enterprise wiki for professional users
- "Ontoprise stellt Insolvenzantrag" [Ontoprise starts insolvency proceedings] (in German). econo. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "semafora takes over Ontoprise GmbH business units". semafora. 6 July 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- Michael Erdmann (25 July 2012). "SMW+ is dead, long live SMW+". MediaWiki users mailing list. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- Use Case: How Ontologies and Rules Help to Advance Automobile Development "W3C Semantic Web Use Cases and Case Studies". June 2008.
- On The Cusp: A Global Review of the Semantic Web Industry. A Global Review of the Industry and Leading Vendors. David Provost. September 2008.