|This article is outdated. (June 2014)|
|Preview release||2.6.5b2 (December 10, 2012[±])|
|Operating system||Mac OS X|
|Type||Utilities, Maintenance, Optimization|
OnyX is a popular freeware utility for Mac OS X developed by French developer Joël Barrière that is compatible with both PowerPC and Intel processors. As a multifunctional tool for maintenance and optimization, it can control many basic Unix programs already built into OS X, including setting hidden preferences otherwise modified by using property list editors and the command line.
- Verify S.M.A.R.T. status
- Verify the structure of the file system on the start-up volume
- Repair disk permissions
- Check user and system .plist syntax
- Configure certain parameters hidden from the system and from certain applications
- Empty System, User, Internet, Font caches
- Force Empty the Trash
- Rebuild Launch Services
- Rebuild Spotlight and Mail indexes
Created in 2003 by Joël Barrière, a.k.a. Titanium, the program was originally meant to address its creator's personal needs. Developed using Xcode, Apple's software development environment (Cocoa + AppleScript Studio + Objective-C), OnyX is regularly updated by its author taking into consideration users' suggestions and requests. To do its job, the program uses OS X's standard Unix utilities, allowing their control through a graphical user interface without needing the command line. OnyX is freeware.
OnyX versions are specific to each version of Mac OS X and are not backward compatible. The program will not work correctly if used with an OS for which it was not designed.
- Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar: OnyX version 1.3.1.
- Mac OS X 10.3 Panther: OnyX version 1.5.3.
- Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger: OnyX version 1.8.6.
- Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: OnyX version 2.0.6.
- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: OnyX version 2.4.0.
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: OnyX version 2.4.8.
- OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: OnyX version 2.7.4.
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks: OnyX version 2.8.5.
The Mavericks (10.9) build is actively maintained. However, all previous versions in support of past operating systems are still available for download from the developer's website. Version history and descriptions of unreleased versions in progress can be found at the official site in both English and French.
- CBS Interactive, CNET. "OnyX for Mac...More popular Maintenance & Optimization downloads". Retrieved 2011-01-17.
- Larry Loeb, Peachpit. "OnyX: Make OS X Spill the Beans". Retrieved 2007-01-24.