Ooty Municipal Market
The Ooty Municipal Market is located in the Nilgiris district in Tamil Nadu. It is one of the largest retail markets in India. The market is the most important shopping centre in Ooty and utilized by the people for shopping vegetables, fruits and groceries.
The Ooty Municipal Market has been previously considered to be a model market of India. Events like Market shows were held in the market premises years ago. It features 1500 permanent sales outlets and 500 temporary outlets. The market is visited by 3,500 to 4,000 people on a typical weekday and between 4000 to 5000 people on weekends. During the summer tourist season in Ooty, the average number of visitors per day is more than 5000. It has 15 gates around the perimeters for access to visitors.
The market has had problems with increased congestion over the years. The market has not been able to cope with the increase in number of visitors.
- Special Correspondent (Apr 01, 2010). "Heated exchanges mark Council meeting in Ooty". The Hindu. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- Special Correspondent (August 31, 2009). "Stone throwing leads to tension in Uthagamandalam". The Hindu. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- "Ooty". hillstationinfo.co.in. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Ooty Hill Station". tamilnadu-tourism.com. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Ooty Hill Station". dhyansanjivani.org. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "About Nilgiris". upasikvk.org. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Ooty - Nature's Carnival - Shopping". Indian Tour Operators Promotion Council. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- Radhakrishnan, D (Aug 27, 2005). "Residents stress need to improve condition in Ooty market". The Hindu. Retrieved October 1, 2011.