|Founded||Silicon Valley, California|
|No. of locations||Mountain View, New York, Los Angeles, London, Sydney, Guadalajara and Tokyo|
Ooyala (pronounced // "oo-YAH-la") is a venture-backed, privately held company that provides online video technology products and services. The company was founded in 2007 by brothers Bismarck Lepe and Belsasar Lepe, and their colleague and friend from Google, Sean Knapp. The word ooyala means 'cradle' or 'swing' in Kannada or Telugu (ఊయల).
As of early 2010, Ooyala was providing video technology and services to deliver online video for over 500 companies, including News International, Yahoo! Japan, and GigaOM. The company has over 400 employees across its offices in Mountain View, California, New York, Los Angeles, London, Sydney, Guadalajara and Tokyo.
In January 2007, Bismarck Lepe was working for Google. While developing new monetization techniques for YouTube, he came up with the idea of using computer vision techniques to deliver targeted advertising on TV shows recorded on Tivo. He contacted his brother Belasar and a friend, Sean Knapp, to discuss his idea.
The company was initially focused on applying computer vision techniques to create clickable video. As the company grew, it expanded its scope to develop technologies that improve the quality and speed at which online video is delivered, and allow Web publishers to measure, monetize and optimize their video content.
In its first round of funding, Ooyala raised money from a number of angel investors and businesspeople, including Scott Flanders, CEO of Playboy Enterprises; Tim Koogle, Former CEO of Yahoo!; and Oliver Grace, Kip Hagopian, Fred Warren, and Ron Conway. Eight months later, Ooyala raised an additional $8.5 million from Sierra Ventures. Two more successful rounds of fund-raising followed, through 2011. Through September 2010, Ooyala had raised $42 million from Sage Venture Partners, Sierra Ventures, Rembrandt Ventures, CID Group (a Shanghai-based private equity fund), Hitochu and Panasonic.
The company has grown from a single-office startup to one with eight offices, 380 employees and customers in over 20 different countries. More than half of Ooyala's business now comes from international markets.
Ooyala's main offering is a platform that enables Web sites to publish, manage, monetize, and analyze online video content. It is built to be modular and provides real-time analysis capability to its customers.
In June, 2012, Telstra led a $35 million (USD) round of financing in Ooyala, and announced plans to use Ooyala’s software and services to deliver its television content online and, further, to resell it to other media companies and corporations.
- Burrows, Peter. (2007-12-31) What Ooyala is Up To. BusinessWeek. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Video startup Ooyala appoints Agile Software's Jay Fulcher as CEO | VentureBeat | Social | by Anthony Ha. VentureBeat. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Yahoo Japan Ups Video with Ooyala - Forbes. Blogs.forbes.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- GigaOM Chooses Ooyala To Power Online Video. Business Wire (2010-06-08). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Best Young Tech Entrepreneurs 2009: Ooyala - BusinessWeek. Images.businessweek.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Ooyala Raises $8.5M More — Tech News and Analysis. Gigaom.com (2008-01-24). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Video Publishing Platform Ooyala Raises $22 Million, Prepares For Major Asian Expansion. TechCrunch (2010-09-09). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Ooyala Brings In Jay Fulcher As New CEO. TechCrunch (2009-08-10). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Reuters. "Telstra buys video platform company Ooyala for $270m". The Age. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Cassandra (database): How is Cassandra typically used at web startups today?. Quora. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Ooyala's online video 'cradle'. FierceOnlineVideo (2009-02-03). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Ooyala Testing Pay Per View With ABC. TechCrunch (2010-04-27). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Ooyala scores partnership with Telegraph Media Group, will power its video content | TechCrunch. Eu.techcrunch.com (2010-01-20). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Ooyala Raises $35 Million as It Picks Up the Pace in Digital Video - Bloomberg. Go.bloomberg.com (2012-06-18). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Microsoft Showcase: Watch videos from Microsoft's online video collection. Microsoft.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Ooyala Enters Japan with NTT Partnership — Tech News and Analysis. Gigaom.com (2010-01-12). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- YuMe, Ooyala partner in ad-placement play. FierceOnlineVideo (2009-11-16). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- [dead link]
- Winners announced for 2012 ConnectedWorld.TV Awards | Connected World Awards. Connectedworldawards.tv. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Ooyala Joins the WebM Project and Adopts VP8 Support. Digitaltvnews.net (2010-05-19). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.