Opel Performance Center
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
|Founded||Rüsselsheim, Germany (1997 )|
|Key people||Volker Strycek, Managing Director|
|Owners||General Motors Company|
|Parent||Adam Opel AG|
The main focus of OPC is the development of performance derivatives of the Opel range, such as the hot hatch Corsa OPC and Astra OPC. The OPC name is also used in some motorsport activities such as the VLN. In the UK, where Opel vehicles are sold under the Vauxhall marque, the VXR name is used instead.
Opel Performance Center GmbH was established in 1997.The first OPC car was an Astra G launched in 1999.
Prior to OPC models, Opel used the Grand Sport Injection (GSi) designation in the mid 80s and the late 90s for its high-performance and hot hatch derivatives. Opel has offered many GSi models, e.g. the Manta B GSi, Kadett E GSi or Astra F GSi. The last vehicle with the GSi moniker was the Corsa C GSi, which was offered in the Opel model range until 2004. After three years, Opel decided to use the GSi moniker for the Corsa D in 2007.
The retail versions developed by OPC are sold under the Opel brand, as special versions of the standard Opel vehicles. They are typically painted in a bright shade of blue (though other colours are available too). Their competition in Europe are, e.g. the ST versions of Ford's European range and Volkswagen's GTI and R range. In the UK, Vauxhall's versions of OPC models are badged as VXR.
- since 2007 Opel Corsa D OPC - a version of the Opel Corsa D three-door hatchback which has a 1.6-liter turbo engine with 141 kW (192 PS).
- since 2009 Opel Insignia OPC - a version of the Opel Insignia five-door liftback, four-door saloon and five-door station wagon (Sports Tourer) which has a 2.8-liter V6 turbo engine with 239 kW (325 PS) and standard all-wheel drive.
- since 2011 Opel Corsa D OPC Nürburgring Edition - a version of the Opel Corsa D three-door hatchback which has a 1.6-liter turbo engine with 155 kW (210 PS).
- since 2012 Opel Astra J OPC - a version of the current Opel Astra GTC compact sports car which has a 2.0-liter turbo engine with 206 kW (280 PS).
- from 2014 Opel Astra J OPC EXTREME - a super sports car version of the Opel Astra J GTC.
OPC has developed the following special versions of Opel vehicles:
- 1999 - 2004 Opel Astra G OPC - a version of the three-door hatchback and five-door station wagon (Caravan) Astra G which has a 2.0-liter engine with 118 kW (160 PS) and a 2.0-liter turbo engine with 147 kW (200 PS).
- 2001 - 2006 Opel Zafira A OPC - a version of the Opel Zafira A compact MPV which has a 2.0-liter turbo engine with 141 kW (192 PS).
- 2005 - 2011 Opel Astra H OPC - again, based on the three-door Astra, this time the three-door hatchback (GTC) version of the Astra H.
- 2005 - 2010 Opel Zafira B OPC - a version of the Opel Zafira B compact MPV.
- 2005 - 2008 Opel Vectra C OPC - a version of the Opel Vectra C five-door liftback (GTS) and five-door station wagon (Caravan).
- 2006 - 2010 Opel Meriva A OPC - a version of the Opel Meriva mini MPV.
Over the fifteen years of existence, OPC presented the following concept cars:
- 2001 Opel Astra Coupe OPC X-Treme - based on the DTM V8-powered version of the Opel Astra Coupe.
- 2002 Opel Corsa OPC - a very production-ready version of the 3-door Opel Corsa C that, however, never made it to production.
- 2003 Opel Vectra OPC - contrary to the commercial Vectra OPC, this one was based on the pre-facelift Vectra GTS and was powered with a tuned 1.9 CDTI engine.
- 2004 Opel Astra High Performance Concept - a study version of the later 2005 Opel Astra H OPC, but painted in "power red".
In November 2012, Opel announced the formation of the "Astra OPC Cup" at the 2013 VLN. In racing configuration, the Astra OPC is equipped with various carbon fiber components and makes 300 horsepower and 400 Nm.
OPC's corporate tagline is "OPC. Pure Passion".
- Dan Mihalascu (2013-05-25). "OPC Boss Volker Strycek Drives and Talks About the Astra OPC". Carscoops. Carscoop & Carscoops. Retrieved 2013-08-13. "To remind us of all these numbers and provide new interesting information on the Astra OPC, Opel had the boss of its OPC performance division, Volker Strycek, talk us through the most important features of the hot Astra."
- "Opel Performance Center: 10 Anos de Pura Paixão" [Opel Performance Center: 10 Years of Pure Passion] (Press release) (in Portuguese). Adam Opel AG. 2009-09-15. Archived from the original on 2013-08-10. Retrieved 2013-08-10. "1997: início de actividade do Opel Performance Centre GmbH (OPC)"
- "Vauxhall Insignia VXR Sports Tourer". Auto Express. 19 March 2009. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- Opel mit Astra OPC Cup zurück im Motorsport
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to OPC-vehicles.|