Open-air preaching, street preaching, or public preaching is the act of publicly proselytizing a religious message to crowds of people in open places. It is an ancient method of communicating a religious or social message and has been used by many cultures and religious traditions, but today it is usually associated with Evangelical Protestant Christianity.
Biblical examples include that of the prophet Jonah, who reluctantly obeys the command of God to go to the city of Nineveh and preach "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!". Others include Paul's speech to the Athenians in Acts 17.
In an essay written by the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry on the biblical basis for open-air preaching states, "There are many examples of street preaching in the Bible." The following list of biblical open-air preachers is not stated as exhaustive, but is detailed nonetheless.
Noah, Solomon, Ezra, Jeremiah, Jonah, John the Baptist, Jesus Christ, Peter, Paul, Phillip, Apollos.
- JOHN WESLEY.; G. Holden Pike's History of the Great Methodist and His Associates, New York Times
- The first Great Awakening, Tony Cauchi, Jamaica Gleaner
- The Motive for Open-Air Preaching at the Wayback Machine (archived November 13, 2007), American Gospel Missions Inc
- Jonah 3:4 KJV
- Tony Miano/Matt Slick, "Are There Examples of Street Preaching in the Bible?" Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry http://www.carm.org/biblical-examples-street-preaching
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Open-air preaching.|
- Street Preaching Training, Tips, and Information
- Open-Air Preaching Teams
- Finding Faith Along America's Highways: NPR article on "Roadside religion"
- Open-Air Preaching Ministry in Madrid, Spain with Photos & Videos and free downloads
- Definite Directions for Open-Air Preaching By Gawin Kirkham
- Open-Air Meetings by R. A. Torrey's (1856-1928), "Methods of Christian Work" (Chapter 6, pages 222-233)
- Street Preaching by Charles H. Spurgeon, From the November 1876 Sword and Trowel
- Latin American Mass Crusades by J.A. Pérez, History of Mass Open Air Crusades
- Street Church Ministries International