|Content license||Open Database Licence|
|Created by||Chris Taggart, Rob McKinnon and community|
|Launched||20 December 2010|
OpenCorporates is a website which shares data on corporate entities as open data under the share-alike attribution Open Database Licence. It was created by Chris Taggart and Rob McKinnon, under the auspices of their company, Chrinon Ltd, and launched on 20 December 2010. It has the aims of creating a URL with such data for every corporate entity in the world, importing government data relating to companies and matching it to specific companies.
This is an incredibly powerful and useful app. It combines information collected by scraping the web with Open Data from government bodies, with a new feature for crowdsourcing. It makes accessing government information about companies trivial. This tool is invaluable for those who want to find out more about what it is that corporations are doing. It is a remarkable step forward for transparency and accountability. I could play with this thing for days.
This is the kind of resource the (Digital) Single Market needs and it is encouraging to see that it is being built.
In early 2012, the project was appointed to the Financial Stability Board's advisory panel on a Legal Entity Identification for Financial Contracts.
- "About OpenCorporates". Open Corporates. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "Press Release: OpenCorporates launches". WordPress.com. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "Corporate confidentiality, company relationships, and why this ‘competitive advantage’ is anti-competitive". OpenCorporates. 5 April 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- Quilty-Harper, Conrad (20 December 2011). "Armchair auditors, sit up: OpenCorporates connects company information to Government spending". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 11 November 2011. "Armchair auditors will be sitting forward today for the launch of OpenCorporates, a website that connects basic information about companies to the money they receive from the Government."
- Taggart, Chris (20 December 2011). "OpenCorporates: why we're crying out for this database of companies". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Introducing CorporateGroupings: where fuzzy concepts meet legal entities". OpenCorporates. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "Open Data Challenge winners". Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Kroes, Neelie. "Getting out the Data". Europa. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "Core Vocabularies Working Group Members". Europa. 15 February 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "FSB Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) Initiative Industry Advisory Panel - Membership". Financial Stability Board. 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2012.