OpenNI or Open Natural Interaction is an industry-led, non-profit organization focused on certifying and improving interoperability of natural user interface and organic user interface for natural interaction devices, applications that use those devices and middleware that facilitates access and use of such devices.
The organization was created in November 2010, with the website going public on December 8. One of the main members is PrimeSense, the company behind the technology used in the Kinect, a motion sensing input device by Microsoft for the Xbox 360 video game console.
In December 2010, PrimeSense, whose depth sensing reference design Kinect is based on, released their own open source drivers along with motion tracking middleware called NITE. PrimeSense later announced that it had teamed up with Asus to develop a PC-compatible device similar to Kinect, which will be called Wavi Xtion and is scheduled for release in the second quarter of 2012.
Their software is currently being used in a variety of open-source projects among academia and the hobbyist community. Recently, software companies have attempted to expand OpenNI's influence by making working with and integrating the technology dramatically simpler.
Natural Interaction Devices
Natural Interaction Devices or Natural Interfaces  are devices that capture body movements and sounds to allow for a more natural interaction of users with computers  in the context of a Natural user interface. The Kinect and Wavi X-tion are examples of such devices.
The OpenNI framework provides a set of open source APIs. These APIs are intended to become a standard for applications to access natural interaction devices. The API framework itself is also sometimes referred to by the name OpenNI SDK.
The APIs provide support for 
- Voice and voice command recognition
- Hand gestures
- Body Motion Tracking
- PrimeSense - Natural Interaction & 3D Sensing
- Willow Garage - personal robotics applications
- ASUS - hardware manufacturer for full body motion apps and games
- FORTH ICS – Institute of Computer Science
- University of Southern California– 3D Face Modeling & Recognition
- Ayotle – Vision Software
- Natural user interface
- Organic user interface
- Kinect (previously known as Project Natal) and PrimeSense
- "About". openni.org. Retrieved 5 Jan 2011.
- "News". openni.org. Retrieved 5 Jan 2011.
- Madhav K (9 Dec 2010). "OpenNI Standard Launched". kinecthacks.net. Retrieved 5 Jan 2011.
- Mitchell, Richard (2010-12-10). "PrimeSense releases open source drivers, middleware for Kinect". Joystiq.com. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Murph, Darren (2011-01-11). "ASUS Wavi Xtion motion sensing control system demoed at CES (video)". Engadget.com. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "Plug-and-Play Kinect". Eyeball OS. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "Natural Interaction and the Transformation of the Living Room Experience". primesense.com. Retrieved 5 Jan 2011.
- Uzi Breier (2 Sep 2010). "Natural Interaction and transformation of the living room experience". v-net.tv. Retrieved 5 Jan 2011.
- OpenNI User Guide, retrieved 17 Jan 2011