Open City (magazine)
Open City Magazine and Books was a New York City-based magazine and book publisher that featured many first-time writers alongside those who are well known. The editors were Thomas Beller and Joanna Yas. It was published by a nonprofit organization, Open City, Inc. Open City Magazine was produced three times per year. Open City Books released two to four books per year. Their first book was a collection of poetry by David Berman. The magazine and books were distributed to the trade by Publishers Group West.
Writers published in the magazine include Mary Gaitskill, Richard Yates, Irvine Welsh, David Foster Wallace, Robert Stone, Martha McPhee, Nick Tosches, Denis Johnson, Rick Moody, Michael Cunningham, Marcelle Clements, Jonathan Ames, Sam Lipsyte, Joe Andoe, Jerome Badanes, David Berman, Jonathan Baumbach, Joshua Beckman, Matthew Rohrer, Matthew Zapruder, Anselm Berrigan, Jill Bialosky, Hakim Bey, Paula Bomer, Alba Branca, Quang Bao, Jason Brown, Bliss Broyard, Lara Vapynar, Rachel Sherman, Charles Bukowski, Robert Olen Butler, Emily Carter, Alexander Chancellor, Bryan Charles, Alfred Chester, Christopher Sorrentino, Delmore Schwartz, Cyril Connolly, Adrian Dannatt, Jocko Weyland, Thomas Beller, Meghan Daum, Rick DeMarinis, Rodney Jack, Catherine Bowman, Geoff Dyer, Alicia Erian, Edward Field, Nick Flynn, Ford Madox Ford, Bruce Jay Friedman, Rivka Galchen, Deborah Garrison, Mark Gonzales, Dana Goodyear, Joyce Johnson, Hettie Jones, Ryan Kenealy, Daniil Kharms, Wayne Koestenbaum, James Lasdun, Monica Lewinsky, Rebecca Wolff, Amine Wefali, Kevin Young, and C.K. Williams.
The magazine's discontinuation was announced 2 March 2011.
- Actual Air by David Berman (1999)
- Venus Drive by Sam Lipsyte (2000)
- My Misspent Youth by Meghan Daum (2001)
- World on Fire by Michael Brownstein (2002)
- Some Hope by Edward St Aubyn (2003)
- Karoo by Steve Tesich (2004)
- Goodbye, Goodness by Sam Brumbaugh (2005)
- Mother's Milk by Edward St Aubyn (2006)
- The First Hurt by Rachel Sherman (2006)
- Love Without by Jerry Stahl (2007)
- Long Live a Hunger to Feed Each Other by Jerome Badanes (2007)
- Why the Devil Chose New England for His Work by Jason Brown (2007)
- Farewell Navigator by Leni Zumas (2008)
- Living Room by Rachel Sherman (2009)
- "Open City Magazine Is Closing after 20 Years; Open City Books To Continue". Open City. 2 March 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- Open City Accessed September 22, 2006.
- Open City Index Accessed December 29, 2008.
- Open City Books Accessed December 29, 2008.