Open University Malaysia
|Open University Malaysia|
|Universiti Terbuka Malaysia|
Logo of the Open University Malaysia
|Motto||Universiti Untuk Semua: Membuka Minda,Menjana Kehidupan|
|Motto in English||University for All: Opening Minds,Transforming Lives|
|Chancellor||Tun Jeanne Abdullah|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Emeritus Tan Sri Dr Anuwar Ali|
|Pro-Chancellor||Tan Sri Dato' Azman Hashim|
|Location||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Colours||Blue, and Silver
Open University Malaysia or OUM is the seventh Malaysian private university and it is owned by the Multimedia Technology Enhancement Operations (METEOR) Sdn. Bhd, a consortium of 11 Malaysian public universities. It leverages on the quality, prestige and capabilities of its a consortium.
The main campus is at Jalan Tun Ismail, Kuala Lumpur. In addition to this, there are 37 learning centres throughout Malaysia, out of which 10 are regional learning centres.
As the first open university in the country, OUM initially opened its doors to 753 learners in 2001. A decade later, OUM has over 100,000 students in more than 50 academic programmes. The MQA Rating System for Higher Education Institutions in Malaysia for 2011 (SETARA’11) has rated OUM as a Tier 5 (Excellent) institution.
The vice-chancellor of OUM is Professor Emeritus Tan Sri Datuk Dr. Anuwar Ali. The first chancellor was the late YBhg Datin Seri Endon Mahmood (the wife of fifth Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Badawi) who was appointed on 16 December 2004. On 8 December 2007, Tun Jeanne Abdullah was appointed as the new chancellor of OUM; the pro-chancellor is Tan Sri Dato' Azman Hashim who is also the executive chairman of Arab-Malaysian Corporation Berhad.
e-Learning methodology and tools
Open Entry refers to non-restrictive entry requirements for a degree programme, applicable to adults who possess learning experience which can be assessed and matched against the learning outcomes of an academic course.
Blended learning methodology
- Face-to face-learning: Tutorials were conducted where students have the opportunity to physically meet their tutors and discussed their subject and their assignment
- e-Learning: Students are required to participate in an online forum using a learning management system and discussed among each other's and with their tutors and peers on their subject matters and on their assignment.
- Self-managed learning module: Students do not have to come over for their tutorials but they still need to come for their tests. They learn by using participating in the learning management system and using their own modules.
- m-Learning: The learning materials are designed in downloadable formats that can be accessed using a desktop or laptop computer. Students then opt to transfer these contents into a handphone to view them. One needs a handphone equipped with the necessary features.
OUM has a strong network of learning centres nationwide. These learning centres are in major cities and towns, from Peninsular Malaysia to Sabah and Sarawak. OUM has 53 learning centres fully equipped with tutorial rooms, computer laboratories, library and Internet facilities.
- Modules are used by the students, tutors and subject matter experts (SMEs). The modules are written by academicians from public and private universities in Malaysia.
- The Tan Sri Dr. Abdullah Sanusi Digital Library has more than 30,000 volumes of printed books in the main campus and learning centres nationwide. As for the digital collection, the online databases consist of more than 82,000 e-books and 32,000 e-journal titles. Other electronic collections include electronic theses, newspaper articles and legal acts.
- iRadio OUM is Malaysia's first Internet radio station to base its segments on modules offered by a university. iRadio OUM was established in April 2007. Boasting shows mainly aimed to add value to OUM learners' open and distance education, iRadio OUM is the creativity link, bridging education and information with entertainment in hopes to provide an alternative outlet for those looking for entertainment and education in the World Wide Web.
The following programmes have been fully accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Management
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Diploma in Technology Management
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Education (Educational Administration) with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology with E-Commerce with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology with Software Engineering with Honours
- Bachelor of Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Business Administration with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology & Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology with Accounting with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology in Network Computing with Honours
- Bachelor of Multimedia Communication with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (Civil Engineering) with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (Mechanical Engineering) with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (Electrical Engineering) with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (TESL) with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (Science) with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (Mathematics) with Honours
- Bachelor of Human Resource Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Mathematics with Information Technology with Honours
- Bachelor of Teaching (Pre-School Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teaching (Primary Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Arabic Language) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Chinese Language) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Malay Language) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Tamil Language) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Islamic Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Physical Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Special Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Music Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Social Studies) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Pre-School Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Visual Art Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Nursing Science with Honours
- Bachelor of Technology Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Mathematics and Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Accounting with Honours
- Bachelor of Sports Science with Honours
- Bachelor of Tourism Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Hospitality Management with Honours
- Bachelor Islamic Studies (Islamic Management) with Honours
- Master of Counselling (MQA/FA0155)
- Master of Science
- Master Of Information Science (Competitive Intelligence)
- Master of Science (Engineering)
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Management
- Master of Environmental Science (Integrated Water Resources Management)
- Master of Education
- Master of Multimedia Communication
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Management
- Master of Science (Business Administration)
- Master of Instructional Design and Technology
- Master of Software Engineering
- Master of Project Management
- Master of Human Resource Management
- Master of Islamic Studies
- Master of Nursing
- Doctor of Philosophy (Business Administration)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Information Technology)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Engineering)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Education)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Science)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching
- Faculty of Business & Management (OUM Business School)
- Faculty of Education & Languages
- Faculty of Applied and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Information Technology & Multimedia Communication
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Centre for Graduate Studies
Academic Support Centre
- Centre for Instructional Design & Technology
- Institute of Quality,Research & Innovation
- Centre for Student Management
- Learner Service Centre
- Institute for Teaching & Learning Advancement
- "Full Members of Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU)". Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU). Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Founding Members of International Consortium for Teaching and Learning Centres (ICTLC)". International Consortium for Teaching and Learning Centres (ICTLC). Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Official website of Open University Malaysia
- Article about Open University Malaysia
- UNESCO Asia Pacific Open and Distance Learning Knowledge Base
- Malaysian Ministry Of Higher Education
- OUM Sabah Learning Centre
- MQA SETARA 11 (Rating System for Malaysian Higher Education Institutions 2011)