Open University of Hong Kong
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|The Open University of Hong Kong|
|Motto||Education for All|
|Established||1989 (as Open Learning Institute of Hong Kong)
1997 (granted full university status)
|Campus||Ho Man Tin Campus
30 Good Shepherd Street, Homantin, Kowloon
|Open University of Hong Kong|
The Open University of Hong Kong (OUHK, OpenU, Chinese: 香港公開大學) is a Hong Kong university providing sub-degree, degree and postgraduate courses leading to awards and qualifications principally through a system of open access and distance education.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 List of academic units and schools
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The university was initially named Open Learning Institute of Hong Kong (OLIHK, 香港公開進修學院). Under the expansion of education in the 1990s in Hong Kong, the establishment of institute introduced distance learning to Hong Kong and set an alternative path of continuing education for its working force. Students are able to adjust the pace of learning according to their own conditions.
As programmes of study are self-financing, there are no financial subsidies from the Hong Kong Government for the university itself. However, full-time students may get grants and loans from the scheme "Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students" (FASP), while other distance learning students are able to make special loan arrangements with a bank.
The OUHK has designed many non-distance learning courses, including full-time courses. In 2006-2007 academic year, they also participated the Joint University Programmes Admissions System, which mainly target at secondary school graduates, marked as the only self-financed university under the scheme.
Hong Kong Baptist Hospital became affiliated with the Open University of Hong Kong, which enables nurses to be trained up to the university degree standard. The Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital has a School of Nursing, also affiliated with The Open University of Hong Kong.
Ho Man Tin Campus
Jockey Club Campus
The Jockey Club Campus was constructed on Chung Hau Street in close proximity to the OUHK's Ho Man Tin campus. This campus will be opened in 2014.
Homantin Plaza Learning Centre (HPLC)
- The Homantin Plaza Learning Centre started operation in August 2005.
- Located just across the street from the main campus.
- This is the University's second learning centre, the first being the Island Learning Centre in Sheung Wan.
- The 960-square-metre Homantin Plaza Learning Centre consists of a small lecture hall and nine tutorial rooms
- Location: Level 1, Homantin Plaza, 80 Fat Kwong Street, Homantin, Kowloon.
Kwai Hing Learning Centre (KHLC)
- The Kwai Hing Learning Centre was established in September 2013.
- The Centre is located conveniently at floors 8 – 11 of Kowloon Commerce Centre, which is about 2 minutes' walk from Kwai Hing MTR Station.
- The Centre has four floors of this building, it is about 25,000 sq. ft. per floor. The Centre contains a mini-hall, 14 classrooms, 2 PC laboratories, a learning resources centre, several purpose-built teaching/ learning facilities, study rooms and student learning commons.
- Location: Level 8 to Level 11 of Tower 2, Kowloon Commerce Centre, Kwai Chung, NT.
OUHK - CITA Learning Centre (OCLC)
- The OUHK - CITA Learning Centre commenced operation in January 2010.
- With an area of approximately 3,000 square metres, it contains 9 classrooms, 2 PC laboratories, a design studio and some student amenities.
- Location: 201-203 Lai King Hill Road, Kwai Chung, NT.
OUHK Course Materials Distribution Centre
- The Course Materials Distribution Centre is conveniently located.
- Location: Room 503-507, 5/F, Block B, Hoi Luen Industrial Centre, 55 Hoi Yuen Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon
OUHK Consultants (Shenzhen) Limited
- Location:31/F, SEG Plaza, Huaqiang North Road, Futian District, Shenzhen, PRC
List of academic units and schools
- School of Arts and Social Sciences
- Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration
- School of Education and Languages
- School of Science and Technology
- Division of Nursing and Health Studies, School of Science and Technology
- Centre for eLearning
- Education in Hong Kong
- List of universities in Hong Kong
- List of buildings and structures in Hong Kong
- "OUHK partners with Baptist Hospital to train nurses"
- "New campus and auditorium named after Jockey Club". OUHK - Public Affairs Unit. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Kwai Hing Learning Centre". The Open University of Hong Kong. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Open University of Hong Kong.|