Opera Company of Brooklyn
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2009)|
The Opera Company of Brooklyn (OCB) is an opera company founded in 2000 which performs in a variety of venues in New York City. It is a non-profit organization operating under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Described as "virtual company", Opera Company of Brooklyn is led by American conductor, Jay Meetze. Other artists who have worked with the company include Gerard Alessandrini, Thomas Pasatieri, Joseph Rescigno, and Adam Silverman.
The company also has an educational outreach program as well as a Resident Artist Program (RAP) for singers, coaches, pianists and conductors. Artists who have worked with students on the RAP include Lucine Amara, Harolyn Blackwell, Catherine Malfitano, Ashley Putnam and Thomas Pasatieri.
OCB was featured on the Jeopardy quiz show, Good Morning America with MythBusters and CNN. Other coverage include numerous reports on radio: National Public Radio's Day to Day, American Public Media's Marketplace, 1010 WINS, WNYC's Overnight Music and Soundcheck, and reviews and articles (some front-page and full-page) in the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, NY Post and Daily News (New York), New York Magazine, American Record Guide, Opera News and Crain's New York Business.
Martina Arroyo, Steuart Bedford, Harolyn Blackwell, Simon Estes, Carlisle Floyd, Denyce Graves-Montgomery, William Hicks, Rhoda Levine, Elaine Malbin, Jane Marsh, Ashley Putnam, Barry Tucker, Frederica Von Stade, David Walker
- 2014 - Operatic music by Chevalier de Saint-George, Il barbiere di Siviglia
- 2013 - Così fan tutte, Werther
- 2012 - Il tabarro, Suor Angelica, Dido and Aeneas. Die Entführung aus dem Serail, Roméo et Juliette, L'elisir d'amore, The Tales of Hoffmann, La traviata, Die Zauberflöte, Alcina, Der Messias
- 2011 - Pagliacci, Tosca, Rigoletto, Carmen, Barber of Seville
- 2010 - The Medium, L'elisir d'amore, Die Fledermaus, Suor Angelica, La Clemenza di Tito, The Magic Flute, The Barber of Seville, Le nozze di Figaro, La bohème
- 2009 - I Puritani, L'elisir d'amore, La traviata, Don Giovanni, Susannah, Così fan tutte, Madama Butterfly, Amahl and the Night Visitors
- 2008 - Così fan tutte, Die Fledermaus, The Barber of Seville, The Magic Flute, Korczak's Orphans, Carmen, Le nozze di Figaro, Amahl and the Night Visitors
- 2007 - Così fan tutte, The Magic Flute, Roméo et Juliette, Korczak's Orphans, Un ballo in maschera, Die Entführung aus dem Serail, Die Fledermaus, Tosca
- 2006 - I Pagliacci, Suor Angelica, Giulio Cesare, The Impresario, The Medium, La Divina, Signor Deluso, La bohème, The Magic Flute, Marriage of Figaro, La Rondine, The Italian Girl in Algiers, Rigoletto, Carmen, Barber of Seville, Eugene Onegin, La traviata, The Elixir of Love, The Magic Flute
- 2005 - Lucia di Lammermoor, Tosca, Madama Butterfly, Così fan tutte, La Divina, Signor Deluso
- 2004 - Marriage of Figaro
- 2003 - The Abduction from the Seraglio, La Rondine, Rigoletto, Romeo and Juliet, Magic Flute, Carmen, The Barber of Seville, Così fan tutte
- 2002 - Don Giovanni
- 2001 - Madama Butterfly, Amahl and the Night Visitors
- 2000 - The Impresario, The Medium
Art/NY's Fort Greene Auditorium, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater- The Joan Weill Center for Dance, Bargemusic, Barnard College, Brooklyn Bar Association: Annual Dinner at Marriott, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce Christmas Party, Brooklyn Heights First Unitarian Church, Brooklyn Museum of Art: Eternal Egypt Exhibition, Brooklyn Public Libraries: Main Branch and Brooklyn Heights, CAMI Hall, First Street Gallery, Columbia University, Freeport Memorial Library - Long Island, Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Good Shepherd Catholic Church, ICO Art & Music Gallery, Katonah United Methodist Church, Liederkranz Club, Marymount Manhattan College: Adult Continuing Education course in opera, Metropolitan Community United Methodist Church, Northside Piers, NYC College of Technology's Voorhees Theatre and Klitgord Auditorium, New York City Public Schools, Phillipa Schuyler Middle School, Plymouth Church, Pratt Institute: Student Welcome Week, Science Skills Center High School, St. Ann's Episcopal Church, Saint James Church, St. Teresa's Church, Studios 353, The Young Women's Leadership School
- American Record Guide, November/December 2003
- Opera News, November 2003
- The Wall Street Journal, Friday, 7 November 2003, p. A1
- The New York Post, Tuesday, August 12, 2003, p. 36
- The New York Times, August 11, 2003, p. E3
- City Tech News & Events, October 1, 2003
- Opera Jamboree December 1, 2000,