Operation Commando Eagle
|Operation Commando Eagle|
|Part of the Iraq War (Operation Phantom Thunder)|
Iraqi soldiers from the 6th Division are briefed during rehearsals for Operation Commando Eagle, a combined ground and air assault into an al-Qaida in Iraq stronghold south-west of Baghdad, 19 June 2007.
| United States
New Iraqi Army
Al-Qaeda in Iraq
|Casualties and losses|
|7 killed (U.S.),
18 killed (Iraqi security forces)
|12 killed, 33 detained|
Operation Commando Eagle began on 21 June 2007, when Iraqi and Coalition forces launched a combined ground and air assault operation against al-Qaeda and other extremist terrorists operating in the Mahmudiyah region of Babil province. The action is intended to curb terrorist activity southwest of Baghdad through a mix of helicopter assaults and Humvee-mounted movements.
The operation targeted a series of houses which local citizens indicated were being used by al-Qaeda cells to intimidate them and launch attacks against Iraqi and Coalition Forces.
On 21 June, troops of the 2nd Battalion, 14th Infantry Regiment, 2nd BCT, 10th Mountain Division detained three men when their truck was found to contain documents requesting rockets as well as a spool of copper wire, commonly used to build improvised explosive devices. Soldiers of the 2nd Battalion, 4th Brigade, 6th Iraqi Army Division found a large weapons cache, and soldiers of the 2nd Battalion, 15th Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd BCT, 10th Mountain Division discovered multiple series of caches during the operation.
Task Force 2-15 detained 16 individuals, and Company A, 4th Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment detained nine men and Troop B, 1st Squadron, 89th Cavalry Regiment detained four, all wanted for terrorist attacks or for possessing illegal weapons.
Military Units Involved
- US forces reported to be involved were
- Iraqi forces reported to be involved were
- 4th Brigade, 6th Iraqi Army Division
- The New Way Forward
- Operation Forsythe Park
- Operation Fardh al-Qanoon
- Operation Phantom Thunder
- Operation Arrowhead Ripper
- Operation Commando Eagle
- Operation Marne Torch
- Coalition military operations of the Iraq War
- Iraq Military Operations 2003 to Current - Alphabetical
- Multi-National Force - Iraq - Two terrorists killed, two suspects detained
- Multi-National Force - Iraq - Coalition Forces kill 2 terrorist, detain 25 suspects, discover media cell
- Multi-National Force - Iraq - Coalition operations kill 8 terrorists, capture 22 suspects
- Multi-National Force - Iraq - Iraqi, U.S. Special Forces detain 12 insurgents, kill two during three operations
- Current Press Releases - COALITION EFFORTS AID IRAQ'S RECOVERY (June)