Operation Game Warden
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
|Operation Game Warden|
USS Harnett County (AGP-821) part of CTF 116
|United States South Vietnam||Viet Cong|
|Commanders and leaders|
| William Westmoreland
David L. McDonald
|Casualties and losses|
| 39 killed
| 2,000 Viet Cong craft destroyed, damaged, or captured
1,400+ killed, wounded or captured
Operation Game Warden, Task force 116, was an operation to deny Viet Cong access to the resources in the Mekong Delta which was conceived of in December 1965. U.S. naval forces, backed by Marine artillery on the ground, launching a rapid surprise attack on the dozens of small Viet Cong ports which were scattered around the Delta. Unprepared in the face of intense U.S. firepower, which included U.S. F-4 Phantoms dropping special illumination bombs which blinded the Viet Cong deck gunners, leaving to them being unable to accurately return fire on the attacking U.S. craft, the Viet Cong were incapable of mounting a stiff resistance. Much the Viet Cong fleet and its operators were destroyed.
The U.S. navy had been steadily consolidating its forces around the Delta for months, assembling several new special test weapons, which the naval commanders were anxious to use.
- River Patrol Force Dispositions
- River Division 51 Can Tho / Binh Thuy
- River Division 52 Sa Dec (later Vinh Long)
- River Division 53 My Tho
- River Division 54 Nha Be River
- River Division 55 Danang
- Support Ships 1966
- Support Ships 1967-1968
- Operation Market Time CTF-115
- Mobile Riverine Force CTF-117
- Operation Sealords, a combination of CTF-115, 116, 117 and other forces.
- Daniels, Victory and Judith C. Erdheim. Game Warden. Arlington, VA: Center for Naval Analyses, 1976. Appendix A-E, Appendix F-I
- Mintz, J. Game Warden. Mobile Riverine Force and Revolutionary Development Operations in the Delta. Arlington, VA: The Center, 1968.
- Affield, Wendell. Muddy Jungle Rivers: A river assault boat cox'n's memory journey of his war in Vietnam. 2012. ISBN 0-9847023-0-X
- Gamewardens of Vietnam, Inc.
- Mobile Riverine Force Association - CTF-116 page
- United States Naval Operations Vietnam, Highlights; January 1966
- United States Naval Operations Vietnam, Highlights; February 1966
- United States Naval Operations Vietnam, Highlights; March 1966