28 June 1957 |
|Occupation||Author, Computer scientist|
|Known for||Founder of Event Processing Technical Society|
Etzion is the Chief Scientist of Event Processing at the IBM Haifa Research Lab. Previously, he was Lead Architect of Event Processing Technology at IBM Websphere, and a Senior Manager in IBM Research division, managing a department that has performed one of the pioneering projects that shaped the area of “event processing”. He is also the founding chair of Event Processing Technical Society.
He serves as Professor and Academic Advisor to the MIS department in the Yezreel Valley College, and Adjunct Professor at the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology. Etzion has supervised various PhD and MSc theses.
He has authored or co-authored papers in technical journals and conferences on topics related to: active databases, temporal databases, rule-base systems, event processing and autonomic computing, and giving several keynote address and tutorials. He has been named an ACM Distinguished Speaker.
He is the co-author of Event Processing in Action (with Peter Niblett), a comprehensive technical book about event processing. He also co-edited the book "Temporal Database - Research and Practice", Springer-Verlag, 1998. Prior to joining IBM in 1997, he was a faculty member and Founding Head of the Information Systems Engineering department at the Technion, and held professional and managerial positions in Sapiens and in the Israel Air-Force.
Honors and awards
- The Israeli Air Force Prize (the highest award for the air-force) 1982
- IBM Outstanding Innovation Award (twice - 2002 & 2013)
- IBM Corporate Award - 2010
- ACM Distinguished speaker - 2011
- Etzion, Opher; Adkins, Jeffrey (June 2013). "Why is event-driven thinking different from traditional thinking about computing?". Distributed Event-Based Systems. ACM. pp. 269–270.
- Etzion, Opher; Niblett, Peter (2010). Event Processing in Action. Manning Publications Co. ISBN 1935182218.
- Adi, Asf; Etzion, Opher (May 2004). "Amit-the situation manager". The VLDB Journal (Springer-Verlag) 13 (2): 177–203. doi:10.1007/s00778-003-0108-y.
- Sharon, Guy; Etzion, Opher (2008). "Event-processing network model and implementation". IBM Systems Journal (IBM) 47 (2): 321–334. doi:10.1147/sj.472.0321.
- Wasserkrug, Segev; Gal, Avigdor; Etzion, Opher; Turchin, Yulia (July 2008). "Complex event processing over uncertain data". Distributed Event-Based Systems 47 (2). ACM. pp. 253–264.
- Etzion, Opher; jajodia, Sushil; Sripada, Suryanarayana, eds. (1998). Temporal Databases: Research and Practice. Springer-Verlag.
- Etzion, Opher (1993). "PARDES: a data-driven oriented active database model". ACM Sigmod Record (ACM) 22 (1): 7–14. doi:10.1145/156883.156884.
- Anussornnitisarn, Pornthep; Nof, Shimon; Etzion, Opher (2005). "Decentralized control of cooperative and autonomous agents for solving the distributed resource allocation problem". International Journal of Production Economics 98 (2): 114–128. doi:10.1016/j.ijpe.2004.05.015.
- Etzion, Opher; Fisher, Amit; Wasserkrug, Segev (28 March 2004). "e-CLV: a modelling approach for customer lifetime evaluation in e-commerce domains, with an application and case study for online auctions". 2004 IEEE International Conference on e-Technology, e-Commerce and e-Service, 2004. IEEE. pp. 149–156.
- Ammon, Rainer; Ertlmaier, Thomas; Etzion, Opher; Kofman, Alexander; Paulus, thomas (2010). "Integrating complex events for collaborating and dynamically changing business processes". Service-Oriented Computing. ICSOC/ServiceWave 2009 Workshops,. pp. 370–384.
- Adi, Asaf; Etzion, Opher (2002). "The situation manager rule language". RuleML 60: 36–57.
- Lakshmanan, Geetika; Rabinovich, Yuri; Etzion, Opher (6 July 2009). "A stratified approach for supporting high throughput event processing applications". Third ACM International Conference of Distributed Event-Based System. ACM. p. 5.
- Ron, Sher; Aridor, Yariv; Etzion, Opher (April 2001). "Mobile Transactional Agents". Distributed Computing Systems, 2001. 21st International Conference on. IEEE. pp. 73–80.
- Adi, Asaf; Botzer, David; Etzion, Opher; Yatzkar-Haham, Tali (2000). "Push technology personalization through event correlation". VLDB. pp. 643–645.
- Etzion, Opher; Gal, Avigdor; Segev, Arie (1998). "Extended update functionality in temporal databases". Temporal Databases: Research and Practice. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. pp. 56–95.
- "OPHER ETZION, IBM Researcher". IBM Research. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- "Opher Etzion - Steering Committee Chair". EPTS. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- "ACM Distinguished Speakers". AC. 2011.
- Etzion, Opher; Peter Nibblet (August 2010). Event Processing in Action. Manning. p. 384. ISBN 9781935182214.
- Etzion, Opher (1998). Temporal Databases: Research and Practice. Springer. p. 429. ISBN 978-3-540-69799-2.
- "IBM Corporate and Patent Portfolio Awards (2010)". IBM.