Formed in 1996 from a merger between Opta Sportsdata and SportingStatz, Opta analyses, stores and distributes live sports data on a wide variety of sports across the world.
Opta data is used in the betting industry, the print and online media, sponsorship, broadcasting and professional performance analysis. Clients include Sky Sports, ESPN, Chelsea F.C., Oulala Fantasy Football, The All Blacks, Manchester City F.C., William Hill, Major League Soccer,The Guardian and Castrol.
Opta's management team includes Aidan Cooney (CEO), David Johnson (CFO) and Florian Diederichsen (COO)
Opta runs a Twitter feed which pushes out sports stats trivia.
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology Opta Sports Data - What is it?
- "Scoring System Oulala.com". Oulala.com. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- MLS Joins Forces With Opta Sports: More Statistics Will Soon Be Available
- World Cup 2010 statistics: every match and every player in data
- Perform Group buys sports data company Opta