Optical Cable Corporation
|Type||Public (NASDAQ: OCC)|
|Founded||Roanoke, Virginia (1983)|
|Headquarters||Roanoke, Virginia, USA|
|Key people||Neil Wilkin, President and CEO|
|Products||Manufacture of fiber optical cable|
|Revenue||$44.63 million USD (2005)|
Optical Cable Corporation, headquartered in Roanoke, Virginia, manufactures fiber optical cable. The company's cable is largely used for telecommunications and is sold both in the US and seventy other countries worldwide, notably China. OCC also manufactures military land tactical fiber optic cable for the U.S. military.
Founded in 1983 by Robert Thompson, OCC designs and manufactures telecommunications cable products. OCC currently employs a worldwide network of distributors for its range of products.
Since 1996, OCC has been publicly traded (NASDAQ GM: OCC), with customers in more than 70 countries.
In recent years, OCC has acquired two companies. Acquired on June 2, 2008, the business formerly known as SMP Data Communications develops products for connectivity and networking. On November 1, 2009, OCC acquired Applied Optical Systems, a facility that manufactures specialty fiber optic connectors and connectivity solutions for military and harsh environment applications.
- Listed on the NASDAQ Global Market (ticker symbol OCC)
- ISO 9001:2008 registered, and its Roanoke and Dallas facilities are MIL-STD-790F certified
- The second-largest manufacturer of multimode fiber optic cable for North American enterprise market
- 2008 Exporter of the Year (Information Technology/Telecommunications), according to ThinkGlobal, publisher of Commercial News USA, the official export-promotion magazine of the U.S. Department of Commerce.
- The recipient of numerous certifications, recognitions and awards from the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. Patent Office, the Commonwealth of Virginia, Start-it magazine and the NewVa Corridor Technology Council.
In addition, the company offers a broad range of Mine Safety and Health Administration–approved cable.