Oranges and Sunshine
|Oranges and Sunshine|
|Directed by||Jim Loach|
|Written by||Rona Munro|
|Music by||Lisa Gerrard|
|Editing by||Dany Cooper|
|Distributed by||Icon Film Distribution|
The film is based on the true story of Margaret Humphreys, a social worker from Nottingham who uncovered the scandal of "home children", a scheme of forcibly relocating poor children from the United Kingdom to Australia and Canada.
Margaret reunites estranged families and brings worldwide attention to the cause. Deported children were promised oranges and sunshine but they got hard labour and life in institutions such as Keaney College in Bindoon, Western Australia.
- Emily Watson as Margaret Humphreys
- Hugo Weaving as Jack
- David Wenham as Len
- Richard Dillane as Merv Humphreys
- Tara Morice as Pauline
- Stuart Wolfenden as Bill
- Kate Rutter as Vera
- Helen Grayson as Bureaucrat
- Ruth Rickman as Orphan
- Harvey Scrimshaw as Ben
- Molly Windsor as Rachel
- Neil Pigot as James
- Tammy Wakefield as Susan
- Adam Morgan as the Intruder
- Neil May as the Commuter
- Adam Tedder as the Doctor
- Greg Stone as Bob
- Aisling Loftus as Susie
Filming took place in Adelaide, South Australia, Nottingham, at Wirksworth in Derbyshire. Some interior scenes were filmed at the University of Leicester, Leicestershire and the porte-cochère of Nottingham railway station. Other locations that appear are a train on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway; Australia House in London and an overview of Nottingham Council House and the Old Market Square.
A casting session was held in Nottingham to find one boy and one girl for the roles of Margaret's children.
- Smith, Ian Hayden (2012). International Film Guide 2012. p. 63. ISBN 978-1908215017.
- Edemariam, Aida (20 February 2010). "People should sort this mess". The Guardian (London).
- "Hollywood flick to tell story of Notts social worker". thisisNottingham. 30 September 2009. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- "Notts youngsters hope to land part in new film". thisisNottingham. 12 October 2009. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oranges_and_sunshine/ Rotten Tomatoes Flixster