Oranges and Sunshine
|Oranges and Sunshine|
Theatrical film poster
|Directed by||Jim Loach|
|Written by||Rona Munro|
|Music by||Lisa Gerrard|
|Edited by||Dany Cooper|
|Distributed by||Icon Film Distribution|
The film is based on the true story of Margaret Humphreys, a social worker from Nottingham who uncovered the scandal of "home children", a scheme of forcibly relocating poor children from the United Kingdom to Australia and Canada.
Margaret reunites estranged families and brings worldwide attention to the cause. Deported children were promised oranges and sunshine but they got hard labour and life in institutions such as Keaney College in Bindoon, Western Australia.
- Emily Watson as Margaret Humphreys
- Hugo Weaving as Jack
- David Wenham as Len
- Richard Dillane as Merv Humphreys
- Tara Morice as Pauline
- Stuart Wolfenden as Bill
- Kate Rutter as Vera
- Lorraine Ashbourne as Nicky
- Federay Holmes as Charlotte
- Helen Grayson as Bureaucrat
- Ruth Rickman as Orphan
- Harvey Scrimshaw as Ben
- Molly Windsor as Rachel
- Neil Pigot as James
- Tammy Wakefield as Susan
- Adam Morgan as the Intruder
- Neil May as the Commuter
- Adam Tedder as the Doctor
- Greg Stone as Bob
- Aisling Loftus as Susie
Filming took place in Adelaide, South Australia, Nottingham, at Wirksworth in Derbyshire. Some interior scenes were filmed at the University of Leicester, Leicestershire and the porte-cochère of Nottingham railway station. Other locations that appear are a train on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway; Australia House in London and an overview of Nottingham Council House and the Old Market Square.
A casting session was held in Nottingham to find one boy and one girl for the roles of Margaret's children.
|AFI Members' Choice Award||Camilla Bray, Iain Canning, Joan Schneider, Emile Sherman||Nominated|
|Best Actor||David Wenham||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Emily Watson||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Hugo Weaving||Won|
|Best Editing||Dany Cooper||Nominated|
|Best Costume Design||Cappi Ireland||Nominated|
|Satellite Award||Best Actress||Emily Watson||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Hugo Weaving||Nominated|
- Smith, Ian Hayden (2012). International Film Guide 2012. p. 63. ISBN 978-1908215017.
- Edemariam, Aida (20 February 2010). "People should sort this mess". The Guardian (London).
- "Hollywood flick to tell story of Notts social worker". thisisNottingham. 30 September 2009. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- "College History". Catholic Agricultural College Bindoon. 2002. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Notts youngsters hope to land part in new film". thisisNottingham. 12 October 2009. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- "Oranges And Sunshine". Rotten Tomatoes. 2014. Retrieved 17 August 2014.