||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)
||This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (March 2013)
In many campaign settings for the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, the orcish pantheon of gods consists of the leader, Gruumsh, as well as Bahgtru, Ilneval, Luthic, Shargaas, and Yurtrus.
Bahgtru is the orc deity of Strength and Combat. The son of Gruumsh and Luthic, Bahgtru has been described as "awesomely stupid."
Ilneval is the orc deity of warfare. He lives in the orcish realm of the Nishrek.
Luthic is the orc deity of fertility, medicine, females and servitude. She is the wife of Gruumsh and mother of Bahgtru. Her sacred animal is the cave bear. Her symbol is an orcish rune meaning "home." Luthic embodies the orcish feminine ideal, subordinate to male orcs but still protecting the cohesion of orcish society.
Shargaas is the orc deity of darkness and thieves. He lives in a realm called The Night Below on the plane of Gehenna.
Yurtrus is the orc deity of death and disease. He lives in a disgusting realm called Fleshslough on the Gray Waste.
- Boyd, Eric L, and Erik Mona. Faiths and Pantheons (Wizards of the Coast, 2002).
- Gygax, Gary. Unearthed Arcana (TSR, 1985).
- McComb, Colin. On Hallowed Ground (TSR, 1996).
- Moore, Roger E. "The Half-Orc Point of View." Dragon #62 (TSR, June 1982).
- Sargent, Carl. Monster Mythology (TSR, 1992).
- Conforti, Steven, ed. Living Greyhawk Official Listing of Deities for Use in the Campaign, version 2.0. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2005. Available online: