Order of Beneficence (Greece)
|Order of Beneficence
|Grand Cross and Star of the Order of Beneficence|
|Awarded by the President of the Hellenic Republic|
|Eligibility||Only for women|
|Awarded for||Distinguished services to Greece and in the public sphere|
|Grades (w/ post-nominals)||Grand Cross, Grand Commander, Commander, Gold Cross, Silver Cross|
|Established||7 May 1948|
|Next (higher)||Order of the Phoenix|
|Ribbon bar of the Order of Beneficence|
It is conferred by the Greek government as a moral reward for women especially, Greek and foreign, for the good services they have rendered to the Fatherland in the field of charity as well as for their performance in the arts and letters. The fact that the order is awarded to women does not mean that the other Greek decorations are awarded exclusively to men.
The Order has five classes:
- Grand Cross - wears the badge on a sash from the right shoulder, plus the star on the left chest;
- Grand Commander - wears the badge on a bow, plus the star on the left chest;
- Commander - wears the badge on a bow;
- Gold Cross - wears the badge on a ribbon on the left chest;
- Silver Cross - wears the badge on a ribbon on the left chest.
The badge of the Order is a five tipped blue-enamelled flower, in silver for the Silver Cross class, in gold for the higher classes. The overall design is clearly derived from the then-recently abolished British Order of the Indian Empire. The obverse central disc bears a portrait of the Holy Virgin with the Divine Child in Her arms with the legend "ΕΥΠΟΙΙΑ" («Beneficence») on a white enamel ring. The reverse side bears the emblem of the Hellenic Republic.
The star of the Order is a silver eight-pointed star with straight rays, with the same central disc as the obverse of the badge, while the reverse side also bears the emblem of the Hellenic Republic.
The ribbon of the Order is orange with blue edges.
- (Greek) Presidency of the Hellenic Republic - Order of Beneficence
- The Greek Royal Orders
- George J. Beldecos, "Hellenic Orders, Decorations and Medals", pub. Hellenic War Museum, Athens 1991, ISBN 960-85054-0-2.
|Greek orders timeline|
|Orders by precedence||1832-
|O. of the Redeemer||.||Rep.|
|Order of Honour||Rep.|
|O. of St George & Constantine||.||.||.||Dynastic|
|O. of St Olga & Sophia||.||.||.||Dynastic|
|Order of George I||.||.||.||.||Dynastic|
|O. of the Phoenix||.||Rep.|
|O. of Beneficence||.||Rep.|