Order of Cultural Merit (Korea)
The Order of Cultural Merit (Hanja: 문화훈장) is one of the Republic of Korea's (South Korea) Orders of Merit. It is awarded to those who have rendered outstanding meritorious services in the interest of improving the national welfare.
Classes of Cultural Merit
The Order of Cultural Merit is conferred in five classes:
- Geum-gwan Medal (Gold Crown) 금관장
- Eun-gwan Medal (Silver Crown) 은관장
- Bo-gwan Medal (Precious Crown) 보관장
- Ok-gwan Medal (Jeweled Crown) 옥관장
- Hwa-gwan Medal (Flower Crown) 화관장
|Ribbons of the order|
Other Orders of Merit
There are three kinds of decoration awarded by the Republic of Korea. They are Orders, Medals of Merit, and Service Medals.
Geum-gwan Medal (Gold Crown)
Eun-gwan Medal (Silver Crown)
Bo-gwan Medal (Precious Crown)
Ok-gwan Medal (Jeweled Crown)
- Choi Min-sik, 2004 — Choi Min-sik returned the decoration badge in 2006, protesting large cuts in support programs for the arts programs of the Korean government.
- Kim Dong-joo, 2004
- Young-Key Kim-Renaud, 2006.
- Park Jae-sang (PSY), South Korean rapper, 2012
Hwa-gwan Medal (Flower Crown)
- Korea: its Land, People, and Culture of all Ages, pp. 145-146.
- Askonas Holt, Myung-Whun Chung, biography; retrieved 2011-05-10
- "Nation honors late video artist Paik Nam-june a year after death," Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (ROK). February 1, 2007, retrieved 2011-04-22
- Jang, Sung-eun. "Beloved Korean Novelist Dies At 80," Wall Street Journal (US). January 26, 2011.
- Association for Asian Studies (AAS), 1997 Award for Distinguished Contributions to Asian Studies; retrieved 2011-05-31
- "Kun Woo Paik is awarded Order of Merit," ICA International Classical Artists (UK). 3 December 2010, citing "Pianist Paik Kun-woo honored," Korea Herald (ROK). 2 November 2010, retrieved 2011-04-22
- "`Old Boy' to Receive Order of Cultural Merit," Han Cinema (ROK). July 25, 2004, retrieved 2011-04-22
- "'Old Boy' Returns Medal in Screen Quota Protest," Chosun Ilbun (ROK). February 7, 2006.
- "President Rho Confers the Order of Merit on the Korean Alphabet Day," George Washington University website (US). November 11, 2006, retrieved 2011-04-22
- "Korean National Ballet, Principal Dancers" Korean National Ballet website. retrieved 2012-11-27
- Yrigoyen, Charles et al. (2005). Historical dictionary of Methodism, p. 176., p. 176, at Google Books
- Martin, Samuel Elmo. ( 1996). Consonant Lenition in Korean and the Macro-Altaic Question, p. 168., p. 168, at Google Books
- Han Sang-hee. "Bae Receives National Order of Culture Merit," Korea Times (ROK). October 19, 2008, retrieved 2011-04-22
- Lee Hyo-won. "Late Film Director Yu to Get National Order of Culture Merit," Korea Times (ROK). June 29, 2009, retrieved 2011-04-22
- Korean Overseas Information Service. (1997) A Handbook of Korea, 6th edition. Seoul, Korea: Seoul International Publishing House. OCLC 16013390