Order of Viesturs
|Order of Viesturs
Cross of the Grand Cross of the order
|Awarded by Latvia|
|Type||5 class Order, with three honor medals. Awarded with swords (military) and without (civil).|
|Awarded for||merit in service to the armed forces; safeguarding and strengthening national security and social order; defense of the country's borders.|
|Motto||Confortamini et pugnate
(Be strong and fight)
|Established||11 August 1938|
|Next (higher)||Order of the Three Stars|
|Next (lower)||Cross of Recognition|
Ribbon of the order
The Order of Viesturs is a Latvian state order founded in 1938, which fell into abeyance during the years of the Latvian Soviet Socialist Republic, but was reestablished in 2004 in the Republic of Latvia. The order is named after the historical figure King Viesturs.
Classes of the Order
The order is awarded in the following classes:
- Grand Cross: Cross is worn suspended from a sash worn over the shoulder with a breast star.
- Grand Officer: Cross is worn suspended from the neck with a breast star
- Commander: Cross is worn suspended from the neck
- Officer: Cross is worn suspended from a ribbon with rosette worn on the chest
- Knight: Cross is worn suspended from a ribbon worn on the chest.