Order of the Liberator
|Order of the Liberator|
|Grand Collar of the Order of the Liberator Simón Bolívar|
|Awarded by the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela|
|Status||Awarded until 2010|
|Grades (w/ post-nominals)||Grand Collar
|Established||14 September 1880|
|Ribbon bar of the Order of the Liberator|
The Order of the Liberator was the highest distinction of Venezuela and was appointed for services to the country, outstanding merit and benefits made to the community. For Venezuelans the order ranks first from other orders, national and foreign. The President of Venezuela is the Chief of the Order and has the faculty of appointing. By right, he wears the Collar of the Order.
The order was created by Antonio Guzmán Blanco on September 14, 1880, and reformed in 1922 under the presidential term of Juan Vicente Gómez, the Order has as precedent the Medal of Distinction with the bust of the Liberator created on March 11, 1854 under the presidency of José Gregorio Monagas and before that, the Order of the Liberators created by Simón Bolívar in 1813.
In 2010, the National Assembly of Venezuela decided to derogate the distinction and replace it with the newly created Order of Liberators and Liberatresses of Venezuela.
- First Class (Grand Cordon)
- Second Class (Grand Officer)
- Third Class (Commander)
- Fourth Class (Officer)
- Fifth Class (Knight)
Recipients of the Collar of the Order of the Liberator include:
- Bashar al-Assad president of Syria
- Juan Carlos I of Spain (08/09/1977)
- Beatrix of the Netherlands
- Andrew Bertie
- Raúl Castro
- Rafael Correa
- Muammar Gaddafi
- Exposición de motivos ley "Orden Libertadores y Libertadoras de Venezuela" National Assembly (Venezuela) (Spanish)
- El Rey, en la conmemoración del bicentenario de la integración venezolana
- "(VIDEO) Presidente de Ecuador condecorado con el "Collar de la Orden del Libertador"" (in Spanish). es:Aporrea (Venezolana de Televisión). 12 October 2007. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Gaceta Oficial de los Estados Unidos de Venezuela - Ley sobre Condecoracion de la Orden del Libertador 13 de Junio de 1922 (Spanish)
|This article related to orders, decorations, and medals is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|