An Ordino street and Casamanya mountain in the background
Position of Ordino parish in Andorra
|Coordinates (Ordino town): Coordinates:|
|Villages||Ansalonga, Arans, Arcalís, El Serrat, La Cortinada, Les Salines, Llorts, Segudet, Sornàs|
|• Mayor||Ventura Espot i Beixanet|
|• Total||90 km2 (30 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,298 m (4,259 ft)|
|• Density||36.77/km2 (95.2/sq mi)|
Ordino (Catalan pronunciation: [urˈðinu], locally: [oɾˈðino]) is the most northerly parish in the Principality of Andorra. Ordino is also the name of the main town of the parish. The main other settlements are El Serrat, Ansalonga, Sornàs, La Cortinada, Llorts, Segudet, Arans, Les Salines and Arcalís. It is home to the Sorteny National Park. It has a population of 3,066, as of 2005.
The National Auditorium of Andorra (Catalan: Auditori Nacional d'Andorra) is located in Ordino town. The International Narciso Yepes Festival, a series of classical music concerts, has been held there every October since 1983. The festival was started by the late guitarist, Narciso Yepes.
The parish has borders with France and also with the parishes of La Massana, Canillo, and Encamp. The only main road and only external link is the CG-3 leading to the neighbouring parish of La Massana.
The town is the namesake of the Andorran legend El buner d'Ordino, in which a bagpiper from Ordino, en-route to a festival in Canillo, is chased and treed by wolves, but frightens them off by playing his instrument.
- Hiking the Eastern Pyrenees, Peter Dunkley, Passport Newsletter, February 2009, Editor K. Petchenik, Remy Publishing]
- 27è Festival Internacional Narciso Yepes, Associació Festivals d'Ordino, Comú d'Ordino, Andorra, October 2009. (Catalan)
- Festival Internacional Narciso Yepes, Visual Andorra, 2009. (French)
- Ordino-Arcalis Ski Resort, Yahoo.com
- Àlvar Valls Oliva - Roser Carol Romàn; Àlvar Valls i Oliva; Roser Carol i Romàn (15 November 2010). Llegendes d'Andorra. L'Abadia de Montserrat. pp. 95–. ISBN 978-84-9883-340-9.
Media related to Ordino at Wikimedia Commons
|This Andorran location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|