Ore shown within East Sussex
|OS grid reference|
|Shire county||East Sussex|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|UK Parliament||Hastings and Rye|
This page gives information on Ore Village and Ore Valley areas including the Hastings wards of Ore, Baird and Tressel
Ore, a former village, is a suburb of the urban area of the town and borough of Hastings in East Sussex, England. It is located to the north-east of the town on the main road to Rye (the coastal A259 road). Its name may have originated from the Old English word for "stream-bank". It is the largest suburb of Hastings.
In the part of Ore known as St Helens stands a second Anglican church dedicated to St Helen. The church was built in 1868, and its predecessor, an ancient church dating from the reign of Edward III, now stands in ruins nearby. Hastings Cemetery is in the St Helens area of Ore.
Hillcrest School is in the nearby Red Lake district of Ore.
Ore Valley lies to the west of Ore Village, and is the site of Ore Railway Station and the former Broomgrove power station. It is also the site of a proposed major redevelopment and housing project. Ore Valley has the Ore Valley Campus of Sussex Coast College Hastings on Parker Road.
Ore Railway Station (one mile from Ore main street/Ore Village) lies on the Marshlink Line; with the maintenance depot for the trains from London, and the coast (via the East Coastway Line and Hastings Line). Ore station lies north of Hastings station and south of Three Oaks (formerly Three Oaks and Guestling Halt). For most of the day, Ore is the eastern end of an hourly stopping service from and to Brighton via Eastbourne and Hastings. East of Ore, the Marshlink Line is served by an hourly Brighton to Ashford international express service calling at Ore only during peak hours. For the rest of the day, passengers travelling from and to stations east of Ore must travel via Hastings.
Ore Valley has the Ore Valley college campus.
- All Saints CE Junior,
- Blacklands CP,
- Elphinstone Junior school,
- Ore Village Primary Academy (formerly known as Red Lake Community Primary School),
- Sacred Heart RC,
- Sandown CP
Ore High Street contains many business. These include:
- The Co-Operative Food Supermarket (with car park) (Fairlight Road)
- KFC (Old London Road)
- Ore Café (Old London Road)
- Nails Ore Tan (Old London Road)
- Y'Ore Store (Old London Road)
- Ore Village Pharmacy (Old London Road)
- Best One (Old London Road)
- Catch 21 Fish & Chips (Old London Road)
Other retailers in Ore include:
- Chinese take away (Old London Road & Priory Road)
- Weavers Hairdressers (Priory Road)
- Lighthouse Fish & Chips (Priory Road)
- Mutz Nutz Café (Mount Road)
- Premier Coombers (Mount Road)
- Hungry Hog Outside catering (Bower Close)
Some other shops are here including independent newsagents and a funeral director.
Other shopping locations around Ore Valley include
- Costcutter and Hastings Fried Chicken at Malvern Way
- Spar Supermarket (St Helens Down)
- HMR Ridge Petrol Filling Station (The Ridge)
- Beneys Londis (Hughenden Road)
- MemoSplash (Hughenden Road)
- Roberts, R. G. (1914). The Place-Names of Sussex. Cambridge University Press. p.194.
- Ore Valley Adventure Playground
- Ore Valley website and forum
- Ore Valley History
- Ore Valley History (2)